INDYCAR to cover $925,000 in refunds owed by Boston promoter

1 Comment

INDYCAR has a released a statement on Thursday confirming the sanctioning body is assisting the Boston Grand Prix promoter by covering $925,000 in refunds.

That statement is printed in full, below. The race organizers filed for bankruptcy earlier this week for the race that was canceled in late April.

Stepping into the breach left by promoter Boston Grand Prix – when it failed to fully refund ticket purchasers after the cancellation of its planned race – INDYCAR announced today it would contribute $925,000 to help make fans whole.

“I appreciate INDYCAR’s willingness to step up for their fans and help resolve this problem,” Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey said in a news release earlier today. “They’ve gone above and beyond to be a productive part of this solution and fans will reap the benefits.”

In May of last year, INDYCAR entered into an agreement with race organizer Boston Grand Prix for races to be run in Boston annually from 2016 through 2020. But on April 29, BGP unilaterally canceled the race scheduled for Labor Day weekend and its plans to stage races in Boston in the future. According to news reports, the amount BGP has refunded to ticket holders to date is insufficient to make full refunds.

Attorney General Healey announced earlier today that her office has filed suit against Boston Grand Prix and its CEO John Casey to pursue the remainder of refunds owed to ticket purchasers.

“We enjoy some of the most loyal and dedicated fans in all of sports, and so we are pleased to work with the Attorney General and contribute in her efforts to protect ticket buyers,” said Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Co., the parent of INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “We want our fans to know that we share their disappointment that the race won’t take place. And we also want to join them in expressing our appreciation for Attorney General Healey’s work on their behalf.”

Ticket purchasers that are owed a refund should contact the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Hotline at (617) 727-8400. Customer service representatives will be on standby to assist with the process for securing refunds.

Lewis Hamilton receives Daytona 500 invitation from Bubba Wallace

Lewis Hamilton Bubba Wallace
Rudy Carezzevoli/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton is a fan of the new NASCAR Cup Series team formed by Denny Hamlin and Michael Jordan to field a car for Bubba Wallace.

Will the six-time Formula One champion also be a fan in person at a NASCAR race in the near future?

Wallace is hoping so.

After Hamilton tweeted his support Tuesday morning about the news of a Hamlin-Jordan-Wallace team making its debut with the 2021 season, Wallace responded with a sly invitation to the Daytona 500.

Much would need to be worked out, starting with how much garage and grandstand access would be afforded for a 2021 season opener that likely would occur during a still ongoing novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

But it would seem fitting given that Hamilton and Wallace have been two of the world’s most outspoken Black athletes about the quest for diversity and racial justice. Hamilton recently reaffirmed his commitment to activism after his donning a Breonna Taylor shirt sparked an FIA inquiry.

The idea of Hamilton attending the season opener already had legs, too. The Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 driver has expressed a desire to race the Daytona 500 after he has retired from Formula One.

He was a spectator (with racing legend Mario Andretti) at four-time champion Jeff Gordon’s final Cup race as a full-time in the 2015 season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In 2011, Hamilton swapped cars with three-time champion Tony Stewart at Watkins Glen International.

Having rubbed shoulders with other racing greats so often, it only would be fitting if Hamilton — who is one victory from tying Michael Schumacher’s career record and also could tie the F1 record with a seventh championship this season — spent some time with the greatest basketball player of all time.

Jeff Gordon was flanked by Mario Andretti and Lewis Hamilton before the 2015 Cup season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway (Jared C. Tilton/NASCAR via Getty Images).