Mercedes Formula 1 chief Toto Wolff has “no doubt” that Nico Rosberg will sign a new contract with the German marque and be part of its 2017 driver line-up.
Rosberg is understood to be in the final year of his Mercedes contract, and is currently in negotiations regarding an extension beyond the end of the 2016 season.
Rosberg had been linked with a move to Ferrari for 2017, but with Kimi Raikkonen being retained by the Italian team alongside Sebastian Vettel, there is no longer room at Maranello.
Both Mercedes and Rosberg have remained confident of agreeing a new deal beyond the end of the season, with Wolff expressing his belief once again during Friday’s FIA press conference.
“You know that we are in discussion with Nico and hopefully these discussions will come to a positive end soon,” Wolff said.
“I have no doubt at the moment that they will so absolutely yeah, this is going to be the line-up next year.”
When asked if the deal was 100 per cent, Wolff said: “You can never say 100 per cent because you don’t know what happens tomorrow and after tomorrow.
“If one gets food poisoning he will not be driving – so you can never confirm 100 per cent.
“But I am very, very confident that will be the line-up.”