© Getty Images

Ferrucci in no rush to reach Formula 1

1 Comment

Santino Ferrucci says he is in no rush to reach Formula 1, preferring to learn by working his way up the motorsport ladder than make the move up too quickly.

18-year-old Ferrucci of Woodbury, CT, became the first American since 1977 to drive an American-run F1 car when he tested for Haas at Silverstone earlier this week.

Ferrucci enjoyed a successful two-day test, exceeding the team’s expectations and giving it some useful data as it continues to develop the VF-16 car.

Ferrucci currently races in GP3 with DAMS, and is happy to bide his time in junior championships before making the jump up to F1.

“Going quickly to Formula 1 is obviously out of the picture,” Ferrucci told reporters at Silverstone, via GPUpdate.net.

“I have a lot of learning to do, especially in GP3, seeing how the season goes from here onwards, and we’ll make a decision [on 2017] after Spa or Monza.

“Hopefully we’ll step up to GP2, but if not another season in GP3 never hurts.”

Ferrucci currently sits 14th in the GP3 standings after six races, recording a best finish of fourth at Silverstone last Sunday.

The pressure on young drivers to make the jump up to F1 has increased following the arrival of Max Verstappen, who in 2015 made his F1 debut at the age of 17 after just one year in single-seaters.

Verstappen has since become the youngest race winner in grand prix history, but is widely regarded as being an exception to the rule as opposed to a new trend for all young drivers to follow.

Ferrucci is the leading American driver on the European junior motorsport ladder at the moment, and is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Alexander Rossi, who made his F1 debut last season with Manor.

Rossi ended a seven-year drought for American drivers in F1 before making the switch to IndyCar for 2016, where he won the Indianapolis 500 at the first attempt in May.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.