Haryanto’s F1 future unclear beyond Hungarian GP

© Getty Images
0 Comments

Rio Haryanto’s future in Formula 1 with Manor remains unclear beyond this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix, but the Indonesian driver is hopeful he will see out the season.

Haryanto became Indonesia’s first F1 driver at the beginning of the year in Australia, enjoying backing from state-owned oil company Pertamina.

Haryanto conceded over the Monaco Grand Prix weekend that he was unsure of seeing out the season due to a shortfall in funding that only secured his seat until after this weekend’s race in Hungary.

When asked if he will be racing in Germany weekend, Haryanto told reporters: “I think so. We will see.

“Obviously if you see me at Hockenheim, then I think that would secure the whole season.”

Haryanto’s manager Piers Hunnisett offered a similar verdict to Reuters.

“We’ve got to be positive and hope Rio will be in Germany,” he said.

“We’ve had many promises which haven’t come true. We keep working hard and it is our plan to be in Germany.”

Haryanto has recorded a best finish of 15th so far in F1, and has outqualified Manor teammate Pascal Wehrlein in half of their races together.

Besides its race drivers, Manor also enjoys ties with 2016 Indianapolis 500 winner Alexander Rossi and GP2’s Jordan King, both of whom enjoy junior roles with the team. Rossi is the team’s reserve driver.

Should Haryanto not race in Germany, Rossi would not be able to step in given the clash with the Honda Indy 200 IndyCar race at Mid-Ohio.

After Hungary, the next four F1 races clash with IndyCar weekends, including the season finale at Sonoma on September 18 that shares a date with the Singapore Grand Prix.

Rossi, for his part, addressed his own future in a recent USA Today Sports interview with Brant James.

“I’m definitely deciding between Formula 1 and IndyCar,” Rossi told James at the Toronto weekend.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.