Haas Formula 1 officials will not make any decision regarding the team’s 2017 driver line-up until after the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in September.
NASCAR team co-owner Gene Haas took his eponymous F1 operation onto the grid for the first time in 2016, his cars driven by Romain Grosjean and Esteban Gutierrez.
Grosjean has led Haas’ charge in its debut season, scoring all 28 of its points. Gutierrez is yet to break his top-10 drought dating back to the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix.
Grosjean is expected to remain at Haas for 2017 after Ferrari opted to retain Kimi Raikkonen, blocking off a possible move up the field for the Frenchman.
Gutierrez said earlier this week he has a deal for 2017, but would not expand when asked if it was with Haas.
Speaking in Friday’s FIA press conference, Haas team principal Guenther Steiner confirmed that talks would he held off until after Monza.
“We decided to wait, to talk internally even about drivers until the European season is over so after Monza, because at the moment we are quite happy with what we are doing,” Steiner said.
“So we don’t want to get distracted or get the drivers distracted by talks, what will happen, what will not happen.
“We just wait until after Monza and then we sit down and try to make a decision as soon as possible so we keep that stability going.”