Hamilton expects to start last at either Spa or Monza

© Getty Images
2 Comments

Lewis Hamilton expects to start last in either Belgium or Italy as a result of exceeding the number of permitted power unit components for the first time in 2016.

Hamilton took the lead of the Formula 1 drivers’ championship for the first time this season in Hungary last weekend, moving six points clear of Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg.

However, Hamilton has long expected to take penalties later in the year after failures in China and Russia earlier this season forced him to use additional power unit components.

Drivers are limited to five usages of six power unit components throughout the season, with a 10-place penalty applied for those using a sixth.

A further five-place grid drop is applied for all the other components used for a sixth time, followed by a 10-place drop for a seventh, and so on.

Hamilton is on the limit for two of his power unit components (turbo charger and MGU-H), but would take a complete new unit to gain additional components for the rest of the season, resulting in a drop to the back of the grid.

Hamilton hopes that he can get through this weekend’s German Grand Prix without any setbacks, and anticipates he will take a new power unit at either the Belgian or Italian Grand Prix after the summer break.

“Hopefully I get through this weekend at least and then it takes hopefully the weight off, and [I’ll] know that either in Spa or Monza we’re going to be starting last,” Hamilton told NBCSN.

“But then after that hopefully I’ll be able to get to the end of the year with whatever I have in the pool.

“I’ve dealt with it, I’ve accepted it, it is what it is and I’m gonna try and do the best job that I can.”

Hamilton enters this weekend’s German Grand Prix on a roll after winning five of the last six races, and put his upturn in fortunes down to a lack of issues on the car that blighted his start to the year.

“I’ve been fighting the whole year, particularly with the failures on the car, and me and my engineers, we’ve been fighting as hard as we can,” Hamilton said.

“It’s just that we’ve had no issues since Monaco with the car. Since qualifying in Monaco we’ve had few issues apart from Baku with me in qualifying and then the car on the Sunday.

“Otherwise the car has really been performing well and I think I’ve utilized that in the last six races.”

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.