Haryanto accepts Manor F1 reserve role for rest of 2016

© Getty Images
0 Comments

Rio Haryanto has accepted Manor’s offer of a reserve role for the remainder of the 2016 Formula 1 season after losing his race seat.

Manor announced on Wednesday that Haryanto had been dropped after failing to fulfil his contractual obligations due to a shortfall in funding.

Mercedes junior Esteban Ocon will make his F1 debut in Belgium with Manor.

Haryanto was offered a reserve role by Manor for the remainder of the season, which the team confirmed on Thursday had been accepted.

“Manor Racing is pleased to announce that Rio Haryanto will remain with the team for the rest of the season, having accepted its offer of a reserve driver role,” a statement from Manor read.

“Rio will be available to deputise should either race driver be unable to take part in an event. He will also be immersed in engineering meetings and PR activities, as the team continues its support for his racing ambitions.”

Haryanto’s appointment as reserve driver appears to shuffle Indianapolis 500 winner Alexander Rossi down the pecking order at Manor, the American having been the team’s denoted back-up since the start of the season.

Rossi was offered Haryanto’s race seat for the remainder of the season, but turned it down in order to focus on his commitments in IndyCar with Andretti/Bryan Herta Autosport.

With Haryanto now on hand to replace either Ocon or Pascal Wehrlein should they be unable to race, Rossi now looks even more unlikely to add to his haul of five grand prix starts in 2016.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.