MotoGP will continue to visit the Sachsenring until 2021 after an agreement was struck for the Saxony venue to remain the host of the German Grand Prix.
The Sachsenring has hosted Germany’s round of the premier class of motorcycle racing since 1998, with a new five-year deal for the race being confirmed last month.
MotoGP officials confirmed at the time that the event was not tied to a particular circuit despite signing an extension with ADAC, Germany’s motorsport federation, which was waiting for approval from the Sachsenring.
On Thursday, MotoGP issued a statement confirming that the deal had been agreed to keep the Sachsenring on the calendar for the next five years.
“The Sachsenring is certainly the most ideal venue for a German motorcycle Grand Prix,” ADAC sport president Hermann Tomczyk said.
“I am therefore very pleased that it will now be hosting a world championship race for the next years. The event has been a huge success ever since 1998.”
“The German Motorcycle Grand Prix at the Sachsenring is a spectacular event with great fans and is an important fixture on the MotoGP calendar,” Dorna Sports CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta said.
“We welcome the announcement that the German Motorcycle Grand Prix will continue to take place at the Sachsenring in the coming years.”
The Sachsenring has also been linked with hosting Germany’s Formula 1 race in the future in recent weeks amid ongoing financial difficulties for the Nürburgring, which looks unlikely to host a grand prix once again in 2017 due to the high running costs.
ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).
“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.
“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”
For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.
“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.
“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”
Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.
“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.