Sauber Formula 1 chief Monisha Kaltenborn is “working very hard” to secure a title sponsor for the Swiss team as it looks to rebuild following its recent takeover.
Sauber has struggled financially for the past few years, but its long-term future was secured after being taken over by Longbow Finance last month.
Kaltenborn believes that this new-found stability will help in her search for a title sponsor, something Sauber has lacked since the exit of German manufacturer BMW at the end of 2009.
“We are working very hard on [a title sponsor],” Kaltenborn told the official F1 website.
“And that is not easy, but if you can again show stability and confirm that to potential partners, that is in itself a big help.”
Sauber currently sits at the foot of the F1 constructors’ championship without a single point to its name in 2016.
However, Kaltenborn was defiant when discussing the team’s prospects, saying remaining in that position was not a consideration.
“Now that we have a stable basis it is much easier to plan and eventually move back to where we belong: in the midfield,” Kaltenborn said.
“But also to be very honest: finishing in P11 is no option!”
Red Bull Racing’s Daniel Ricciardo has dominated all weekend long at the Monaco Grand Prix, leading every single practice session prior to qualifying.
And qualifying was more of the same for the Australian driver, whose quick lap in Q3 came in at 1:10.810, a new track record, to take the pole by more than two tenths of a second over Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.
Meanwhile, Ricciardo’s teammate Max Verstappen endured a much more difficult day, which started with a hard crash in FP3.
Verstappen’s Red Bull RB14 suffered extensive damage to the right side, and even more damage was later found in the car’s gearbox. Such repairs ultimately proved too time consuming, and Verstappen will start Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix from last.
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton filled out the top three by qualifying third, with Ferrari and Mercedes also taking the fourth and fifth spots on the grid, with Kimi Raikkonen in fourth and Valtteri Bottas in fifth.
Force India’s Esteban Ocon, McLaren’s Fernando Alonso, and Renault’s Carlos Sainz Jr. take up spots six, seven, and eight on the grid. Sergio Perez made it two Force Indias in Q3, qualifying ninth, while Toro Rosso’s Pierre Gasly qualified tenth.
Full qualifying results are below. Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix kicks off at 9:00 a.m. ET.