De Silvestro open to Australian Supercars move for 2017

© Getty Images
1 Comment

Recent IndyCar and Formula E driver Simona de Silvestro is open to moving into the Australian Supercars championship full-time in 2017.

De Silvestro was recently dropped by Andretti’s Formula E team following a disappointing season that yielded just two points finishes, making way for Antonio Felix da Costa.

Team boss Michael Andretti told NBC Sports last month that de Silvestro could remain part of the Andretti Autosport fold, but that her future remained uncertain.

De Silvestro made her debut in V8 Supercars at last year’s Bathurst 1000 alongside Renee Gracie, finishing 21st.

After announcing earlier this week that she would be returning to Mount Panorama in 2016 with Gracie, de Silvestro said she would be open to racing in the series full-time next year.

“I think, for me, I’ve had a tough year in Formula E right now and I’m definitely looking at all the options that there is out there,” de Silvestro told supercars.com.

“Supercars – I really enjoyed Bathurst last year, it’s definitely something to look at. There’s the support of Harvey Norman also and the female action is quite important.

“Right now there’s no decisions made, the racing is a lot of fun here and as a race car driver that’s what you look for, and going full tilt all the time.

“So who knows. Maybe. I don’t know yet.”

Supercars CEO James Warburton said the series would do everything in its power to get de Silvestro on board for 2017.

“First and foremost Simona is an incredible driver. The sport is talking about her as the ‘real deal’ having seen what she achieved at Bathurst last year given it was the first time she had ever driven a Supercar,” Warburton said.

“The fact that she is the fastest female on four wheels will inspire a new generation of fans and showcase the potential and possibilities for women in the top tier of motorsport, which is an important ambition and we believe an obligation we have for our series.

“Simona’s achievements of having been Formula 1 test driver, been one of only three females to stand on an IndyCar podium and her achievements in Karting and European Championships absolutely makes her a target for Supercars, quite a remarkable career to consider when she is still only 27.

“Globally Simona has a number of options and people chasing her, all we can do is try and get to the front of the queue.

“And believe me, we are pushing.”

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.