Indonesian sports ministry ‘disappointed’ by Manor’s Haryanto decision

© Getty Images
4 Comments

The Indonesian sports ministry has expressed its disappointment after Manor terminated Rio Haryanto’s Formula 1 contract after a shortfall in funding.

Haryanto made his grand prix debut with Manor at the beginning of the season, enjoying financial backing from Indonesian state-owned oil giant Pertamina.

However, Haryanto was dropped by Manor earlier this week after failing to meet his contractual obligations, reportedly only having half of the required amount to see out the season.

In a statement issued this week, the Indonesian sports ministry said it was disappointed by Manor’s decision, as well as revealing there was a two-year plan for Haryanto with the team.

“The sports ministry is disappointed with the decision, as Manor’s racing director Dave Ryan in February promised Rio Haryanto would race a full season in F1,” spokesperson Gatot Dewa Broto said.

“Moreover, Manor’s team director Abdulla Boulsien in June said Rio is part of the team’s long-term plan for at least two years.

“We understand the situation in which Manor asked Rio and his management to pay the remaining fees before the Hungarian Grand Prix on July 24 and it turned out that Manor gave another chance for Rio to race until German Grand Prix. The sports ministry appreciates that.

“We asked to use state budget to finance Rio, but it wasn’t allowed by the lawmakers.

“The parliament fully supports Rio’s involvement in Formula 1 but using the state budget is not the option.”

Haryanto will be replaced at Manor by Mercedes junior Esteban Ocon for the remainder of the season.