Brad Keselowski glad Helio Castroneves is ok after scary pit road crash

Leave a comment

Shortly after Team Penske teammate Helio Castroneves was involved in a scary crash on pit road in Monday’s ABC Supply 500 Verizon IndyCar Series race at Pocono Raceway, NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Brad Keselowski took to Twitter.

Not only did Keselowski express gratitude that his friend and teammate was okay, Keselowski tweeted “Halos please” — a reference that essentially urged IndyCar to require halo devices that surround the driver cockpit, similar to those that were tested earlier this year in Formula One. Halo devices are among safety additions that IndyCar officials have considered since the tragic death of driver Justin Wilson a year ago at Pocono.

The accident on Lap 64 occurred when Indianapolis 500 winner Alexander Rossi and his No. 98 Castrol Edge/Curb Honda pulled out of his pit box, was released into the “slow lane” Inside lane) and made contact with Charlie Kimball, who was slowing to take his No. 83 Tresiba Chevrolet from the “fast lane” (outside lane) into his pit stall.

The impact sent Rossi’s car airborne, sailing on top and over Castroneves’ in his No. 3 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet before returning to the racing surface on the other side of Castroneves’ car. Tire marks from Rossi’s car on the top and side of Castroneves’ cockpit were clearly visible when shown after the incident on NBCSN.

“Very glad that nobody got hurt,” Castroneves said. “It’s just a shame. The Hitachi Chevy was really having a good day and we just had another good pit stop when I was coming out of the pits. All of a sudden there was a car on top of me. It was a little strange to be honest.

“It’s certainly unfortunate because this will hurt us in the championship battle but our team will never give up. We’ll move on to Texas where, fortunately, we’ve had a lot of success.”

Castroneves said Rossi’s car struck his hand as it sailed over the cockpit, but that he was alright. A few hours after the race, Castroneves also took to social media to further assure his fans he was fine.

View this post on Instagram

Thanks everyone, let's go to Texas!!

A post shared by Helio Castroneves (@heliocastroneves) on

Follow @JerryBonkowski

 

Alex Zanardi showing signs of interaction three months after crash

Alex Zanardi recovery
Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MILAN — Italian racing driver turned Paralympic gold medalist Alex Zanardi has started responding to treatment with signs of interaction, more than three months after he was seriously injured in a handbike crash.

Zanardi has spent most of that time in intensive care after crashing into an oncoming truck during a relay event near the Tuscan town of Pienza on June 19.

“For several days now. Alex Zanardi has undergone cognitive and motor rehabilitation sessions, with the administration of visual and acoustic stimuli, to which the patient responds with momentary and initial signs of interaction,” the San Raffaele hospital in Milan said in a statement Thursday.

The hospital said that is “significant progress” but added that his condition remains serious, and that it would be “absolutely premature” to make a long-term prognosis.

Zanardi, 53, suffered serious facial and cranial trauma in the crash and was put in a medically induced coma. Doctors have warned of possible brain damage.

He was operated on several times to stabilize him and reconstruct his severely damaged face and the Milan hospital added that he recently had undergone another surgery to reconstruct his skull and would have another one in the coming weeks.

Zanardi lost both of his legs in an auto racing crash nearly 20 years ago. He won four gold medals and two silvers at the 2012 and 2016 Paralympics. He also competed in the New York City Marathon and set an Ironman record in his class.