Drivers escape after scary pit lane incident in Pocono (VIDEO)

1 Comment

LONG POND, Pa. – A three-car incident in the pit lane during today’s ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway was very scary, but fortunately ended with no injuries.

On Lap 64, Alexander Rossi’s No. 98 Castrol Edge/Curb Honda was released into the path and the “slow lane” (inside lane), into the path of Charlie Kimball, whose No. 83 Tresiba Chevrolet was entering from the “fast lane” (outside lane) into his pit stall.

Contact occurred between the two of them and sent Rossi’s car airborne, on top of another innocent bystander, Helio Castroneves in his No. 3 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet.

Rossi’s car actually mounted Castroneves’ car over the cockpit area, then went over and came to a rest on the ground.

“I was released. I was in the slow lane. Kimball was into fast lane to box. I was still in my lane. I know what happened. I was in the slow lane. Very unfortunate,” Rossi told NBCSN’s Kevin Lee. “I was concerned about Helio. Just glad he’s alright.”

Castroneves told NBCSN’s Katie Hargitt: “We were coming from another strong pit stop. As soon as I was getting out, Rahal [it was actually Rossi] was coming, then all of a sudden I just saw a car on top of me. Didn’t see anything else. Thought I was changing Pennzoil oil! That was more scary. It hit a little bit of my hand.”

Roger Penske, Castroneves’ team owner, told IndyCar Radio: “We had a bit of a fire, burned some wires, and the fuel cell got hit. But very fortunate no one was hurt. I don’t know what they were thinking about. The 83 turned into the 98. It happened so fast. We were sitting in good shape.”

The Team Penske crew took Castroneves’ car behind the wall to attempt repairs, while Rossi, the Indianapolis 500 champion, was out on the spot. Chip Ganassi Racing’s crew took Kimball’s No. 83 car back to his pit and he resumed in the race.

Of note, Castroneves’ Team Penske teammate Brad Keselowski posted this tweet when he saw the accident.

Conor Daly honors friend killed Saturday amid Indianapolis unrest

Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

IndyCar driver Conor Daly posted a poignant tribute to Chris Beaty, a former Indiana University football player and Indianapolis business owner who was killed Saturday amid protests and rioting in the city.

Daly said he got to know Beaty, who owned an event and marketing promotions company, five years ago when he was organizing Indianapolis 500 afterparties.

Daly annually had been involved in Beaty’s parties since then and said Beaty helped get him home earlier this year when Daly’s blood sugar crashed while at an event.

TAKING A STAND: Lewis Hamilton speaks out on racial strife

“The world lost a tremendous person. RIP Chris Beaty,” wrote Daly, who also tweeted “The violence has to stop.”

According to the Indianapolis Star, Beaty died after suffering multiple gunshot wounds during Saturday night’s unrest in downtown Indianapolis. It’s unclear if the shooting was tied to the protests.

Graham Rahal also posted about his interaction with Beaty.

Daly, Rahal and the rest of the IndyCar Series will return to action Saturday night at Texas Motor Speedway (8 p.m. ET, NBC).