Dean Stoneman gets Formula E test with NextEV

© INDYCAR
0 Comments

Indy Lights championship contender Dean Stoneman will enjoy his first Formula E test at Donington Park on Thursday with NextEV.

Stoneman, 26, currently races for Andretti Autosport in Indy Lights, having recently raced in GP3, GP2 and Formula Renault 3.5.

The Briton won the Formula 2 title back in 2010 and enjoyed a Formula 1 test with Williams before missing the 2011 and 2012 racing seasons after being diagnosed with testicular cancer.

Stoneman made the switch to Indy Lights for 2016, winning the Freedom 100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and securing an IndyCar test with Andretti at Watkins Glen earlier this month.

Stoneman will now get a chance to impress behind the wheel of a Formula E car, taking part in the pre-season test running at Donington in England on Thursday.

“I’m really looking forward to my first time in a Formula E car,” Stoneman said.

“The opportunity with the NextEV Formula E Team is extremely exciting and I have been very impressed so far with their professional structure and ambitions going forward.

“They were winners of the inaugural Formula E championship and they are clearly looking to be a force this coming season too.

“The whole approach to driving these cars is completely different so I have been learning key areas like energy recovery so I can hit the ground running for this week’s test.”

NextEV confirmed its driver line-up for Formula E’s third season on Tuesday, retaining Nelson Piquet Jr. and Oliver Turvey for the new campaign.

NEOM McLaren Formula E announces Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast for 2023 season

McLaren Formula E Hughes
McLaren Racing
0 Comments

Doubling down on their commitment to electric auto sports, McLaren Racing announced Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast to compete in the 2023 Formula E Series (FE), which completes their driver lineup.

The NEOM McLaren FE team was formed by the acquisition of the Mercedes-EQ Formula E team that won the 2021 and 2022 championships with Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries behind the wheel.

“Today’s announcement feels like a long time coming,” said Ian James, managing director of NEOM McLaren Electric Racing in a release. “Since May this year, when we first announced McLaren Racing’s entry into Formula E, we have been working tirelessly to get in place the best possible team and structure for sustainable success.

“On the one hand, we have been working on the retention of the amazing talent that already was in place before going into the transitional phase. I’m proud to say I think we’ve done a great job on that front.

“On the other hand, we have been focusing on putting in place new processes and new talent – and the latter includes the drivers.”

The driver lineup clasps the two hands together.

Hughes brings 10 years racing experience in single seater cars, including a role with the acquired Mercedes-EQ team as a reserve and development driver for the past two seasons. He is the 2013 BRDC Formula 4 champion and has multiple wins in Formula 2, including two in 2020.

Announced in August, Rast joins the team after earning two podium finishes and six top-fives in 22 career Formula E starts for Audi Sport ABT before returning to the DTM Series last year. Rast’s best finish in Formula E came in the Puebla E Prix when he finished second to teammate Lucas di Grassi by less than a half second.

McLaren’s commitment to Formula E comes one year after they entered the Extreme E rally series in 2022 with Tanner Foust and Emma Gilmour in the driver lineup. After a modest start to the season, the McLaren XE drivers crossed the finish line first in Round 4 in Chile, but were assessed a time penalty that dropped them to fifth. Last week in the season finale in Uruguay, they held onto a hard-earned second place finish.