© Formula E

Formula E announces ‘Road to Las Vegas’ eSports race with $1m prize fund

Leave a comment

Formula E has confirmed more details for its upcoming eSports race in Las Vegas that will see drivers battle for a prize fund of $1 million.

Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag announced over the London ePrix weekend at the beginning of July that Las Vegas would play host to an e-race in January, acting as a non-championship round for season three.

ESports has been a key area of focus for Formula E since its inception, with a handful of drivers going head-to-head at each race weekend in a virtual race.

As part of the Sports Business Innovation Summit (January 5-7) at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the 20 drivers racing in Formula E this season will be pitted against each other on the rFactor 2 game, as confirmed in a statement on Thursday.

The drivers will be joined by 10 fans who can win a place on the grid via the ‘Road to Las Vegas Challenge’ scheme, more details about which can be found by clicking here.

“Formula E takes one more giant step in engaging with our fans,” Agag said upon the announcement.

“Gamers from all over the world will be able to participate in the ‘Road to Vegas Challenge’ and earn themselves the opportunity to race against the Formula E drivers in a unique eRace.

“All this will take place within CES, the world’s largest technology show, highlighting our commitment to fan engagement through innovation and technology.

“We believe eSports offers a new level of fan interaction and participation in sport, and we want to be at the forefront of this gaming revolution.

“Gamers, welcome to Formula E – let’s race!”

Formula E previously made an appearance in Las Vegas when its demo car ventured down The Strip in 2014.

IndyCar’s Vasser-Sullivan expand into IMSA for 2019

James Sullivan and Jimmy Vasser. Photo IndyCar
Leave a comment

Not even one year after returning to the IndyCar ranks, Vasser-Sullivan Racing is taking AIM at the IMSA world, you might say.

While team co-owners Jimmy Vasser and James “Sulli” Sullivan will continue to partner with Dale Coyne Racing on the IndyCar side, they expanded their holdings Tuesday, announcing a partnership with AIM Autosport to campaign a new two-car Lexus-backed RC F GT3 effort in IMSA’s GT Daytona class.

The new team – named AIM Vasser-Sullivan – will replace 3GT Racing, which was part of Lexus’ sports car program launch in 2016. It will announce its two drivers in the coming weeks, the team said.

“Sulli and I are excited and looking forward to entering a new chapter in our racing careers,” Vasser said in a media release. “I have driven sports cars before, but my career was pretty much limited to the 24 Hours of Daytona, including a ‘class’ win in 1992 and second overall in 2008.

“The AIM Vasser Sullivan team, with the support of Lexus and our sponsors, has the tools to get the job done and we are looking forward to this new challenge.”

Lexus has made significant progress in its first two seasons in IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship competition, having earned a combined two race wins, five poles and finished third in the 2018 GTD Manufacturer point standings.

Vasser and Sullivan were part of the ownership group of KVSH Racing in IndyCar from 2011 through 2016 before the organization folded.

They also owned Tony Kanaan’s 2013 Indianapolis 500-winning car.

After sitting out the 2017 season, Vasser, a former CART champion, and Sullivan rejoined forces this past February, just before the start of the 2018 IndyCar season, partnering with Coyne to form a satellite team led by driver Sebastien Bourdais, who previously drove for KVSH.

Bourdais kicked off the new team’s effort with a win in the season-opening Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. He finished seventh in the overall season standings.

AIM Vasser Sullivan will have two home bases for its IMSA program: AIM’s current facility in Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada, as well as a new U.S. shop in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Follow @JerryBonkowski