Perez expecting to make announcement on F1 future by Singapore

© Getty Images
0 Comments

Sergio Perez hopes to make an announcement regarding his Formula 1 plans for 2017 by the Singapore Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.

Following Felipe Massa’s announcement on Thursday confirming that he would be retiring from F1 at the end of the season, the wheels have been set in motion for next season’s driver market.

Perez is under contract with Force India for 2017, but has an escape clause that could be used by his sponsors should they decide on a move to another team.

Perez has been linked with drives at Williams and Renault for next season. Neither team has confirmed any drivers for 2017 yet.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday at Monza, Perez confirmed that progress had been made regarding his future since Spa, drawing an announcement near.

“Yes, hoping to announce everything by Singapore hopefully,” Perez said.

“It looks like what’s happening is what I always wanted, so I’m very happy for that.

“You’ll find out very soon.”

Force India remains keen to hang on to Perez for 2017, with deputy team boss Bob Fernley recently saying that he would be very surprised if the Mexican were to leave.

However, the lure of a works drive with Renault may prove too strong to turn down. The French marque returned to F1 as a constructor at the beginning of the season.

Despite enduring a tough start to the year, the financial backing available to boost its fortunes on-track may convince Perez to make the move across.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.