Kimball ends sixth after pair of incidents with Rahal, Power (VIDEO)

Photo: IndyCar
1 Comment

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. – Scott Dixon’s Chip Ganassi Racing car is sponsored by Target.

Charlie Kimball’s Chip Ganassi Racing car was one Sunday at Watkins Glen International.

Kimball’s No. 83 Tresiba Chevrolet was in the eye of the storm for the majority of Sunday’s INDYCAR Grand Prix at The Glen presented by Hitachi, after being involved in the two heaviest incidents of the Verizon IndyCar Series race.

Kimball started 14th and ended sixth but it was what occurred in-between the 60 laps of the race made for quite a day.

On Lap 20, Kimball was to the outside of Graham Rahal, with the two making contact on corner exit of Turn 1. Rahal slid up the road into Kimball, who was to his outside, before then careening back into the inside tire barrier.

Rahal was less than pleased. “Kimball decided to not give me any room on the exit. Probably the hardest hit I’ve taken in my life. But I have to take blame too. I shouldn’t have put myself in that position. I should know better than to race him like that,” he told NBCSN during the broadcast.

Kimball told NBCSports.com post-race, “I didn’t think we had a lot of contact with Graham. I felt like I gave him plenty of room around the inside, I was focused on the exit because really the big passing opportunity especially with a restart like that was up the hill into the Bus Stop.”

But he pressed on. Unfortunately he was caught up in the race’s biggest moment when he and Will Power collided as they came up the Esses.

Kimball had a monster run on Power, and Power moved up, perhaps not realizing that Kimball was there. It sent Power into the Armco barrier on driver’s left of corner exit. Although he was checked and released, Power has not been cleared to drive owing to concussion-like symptoms.

“We came up the hill and everyone else that I passed I got to the left, and everyone stayed right to block, and Will – it’s like he had no idea I was there, because he just kept following I think the 26 car over, and ran me onto the grass, and when I bounced off the grass I bounced into him,” Kimball said. “I was sorry to have gotten into him but frankly if he’d have known I was there, I know he wouldn’t have run me off the road.”

Kimball expanded on the notion that Power must not have seen him.

“Oh yeah, for sure. Everyone else when I got the run down the hill… the way the momentum is in these cars, you’ve got to get the momentum up the hill and then because the crown in the road is so big up that straight, you kind of pick either lane,” he said.

“Well everyone else when I got to the left of coming around that right-hander, Turn 4 I guess it is, they stayed left. Will, it’s like he had no idea I was there. He kept following the 26 up and I went in the run-off, there’s a little bit of paved run-off, and when it ended I bounced off the grass and hit him. It’s like he didn’t know I was there, because I know if he’d known I was there, he’d have just run down the inside.

“Absolutely, because everyone else I had followed and passed up the hill stayed right for the Bus Stop.”

Kimball unofficially sits ninth in points heading to the Verizon IndyCar Series’ season finale at Sonoma Raceway in two weeks, at a track where he finished on the podium last year.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.