© Getty Images

Renault set to re-use Magnussen’s Spa power unit

1 Comment

Renault plans to re-use Kevin Magnussen’s power unit from the Belgian Grand Prix after finding it escaped his high-speed crash at Spa without major damage.

Magnussen crashed out of last month’s race in Belgium in a shunt that wrecked the chassis of his Renault Formula 1 car and left the Dane with a cut to his ankle.

The crash was so severe that the race had to be red flagged while the barrier Magnussen hit was repaired and the debris could be cleared.

However, all was not lost from the crash, with Renault finding that his power unit could be re-used after avoiding any serious damage.

Lewis Hamilton recently suffered a sizeable grid drop as a result of excessive power unit usage, but Renault’s Bob Bell revealed the team should not suffer a similar fate this year.

“We’re actually looking pretty strong in that regard,” Bell said.

“One of the real success stories of this year has been how strong the power unit has been, not only though being able to exercise enhanced performance but in the reliability we’ve seen. It’s been a tremendous job from everyone in Viry.

“It’s likely we’ll run Kevin’s Spa power unit on Friday in Singapore or Sepang as it looks like there was no serious damage to it in the accident.”

Looking ahead to next weekend’s race in Singapore, Renault F1 team boss Frederic Vasseur believes teh French marque’s current deficits may not be so pronounced under the lights given the tight and twisting nature of the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

“Singapore is a type of circuit that should suit us better than the ones visited recently,” Vasseur said.

“We can hope for results that are more in line with those achieved at circuits such as Budapest or Spa.

“The last two races have been challenging and character-building for the team in terms of results. Our global performance was good in Spa and we achieved our best qualifying results of the season so far.

“But unfortunately in the race we had Kevin’s accident and we couldn’t convert our qualifying pace into a deserved good result in the end.”

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.