DTM, WEC, Formula E on Massa’s radar for 2017

© Getty Images
1 Comment

Felipe Massa is open to moves into DTM, Formula E or the FIA World Endurance Championship for 2017 after announcing his retirement from Formula 1 at the end of the current season.

Massa confirmed over the Italian Grand Prix weekend that he would be calling time on his 15-year stint in F1 at the end of 2016, freeing up a seat at Williams.

Massa has no plans to walk away from motorsport, though, expressing an interest in getting a race seat for 2017.

The Brazilian had been linked with a move into either IndyCar or the Brazilian stock car series, both of which were raced in by Rubens Barrichello following his F1 retirement at the end of 2011.

However, Massa is planning to keep his racing commitments based in Europe, with three series on his radar.

“I have some people [interested in signing me] but I just need a bit of time to think about it and to decide in the best way,” Massa told reporters in Singapore.

“I will race. I just need to understand what will be the right choice [so] that I will keep enjoying [racing] and having fun.

“I don’t think it will be stock cars. Not IndyCar.

“I think maybe it will be DTM, WEC, Formula E – maybe one of these three I think.”

Massa has connections to all three championships and would act as a big name driver for each one, making a move into any of them possible.

Massa’s current team, Williams, has worked closely with Formula E throughout its short life span so far, supplying batteries to the entire grid via its Williams Advanced Engineering arm.

WAE has also worked with Jaguar ahead of its arrival into the series for season three, but with the Formula E grid seemingly full until the end of the new campaign in middle of 2017, such a move may prove tricky for Massa.

Williams enjoys a power unit supply from German manufacturer Mercedes, which enjoys heavy involvement in DTM.

Should Massa desire a return to WEC, hooking back up with Ferrari – for whom he raced in F1 between 2006 and 2013 – via its AF Corse program is not out of the realm of imagination. However, it would depend largely on the seats available at Maranello and its plans moving forward.

Regardless of where he ends up for 2017, expect Massa to remain a firm paddock favorite.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.