© Getty Images

Perez confirms delay on 2017 F1 seat announcement

Leave a comment

Sergio Perez hopes to announce his plans for the 2017 Formula 1 season by the next race in Malaysia after confirming there has been a delay.

Force India’s Perez is widely perceived to hold the key to the rest of the driver market for 2017, having been linked with available seats at both Williams and Renault.

Perez had hoped to confirm his future after the summer break, before saying in Belgium that a decision was due to be announced before the Singapore Grand Prix.

Speaking in Singapore on Thursday, Perez confirmed that no decision had yet been taken, but expects to be able to make an announcement in the next two weeks.

“Well I tried, I was hoping to be in a position to announce my plans for this week,” Perez said.

“Obviously we’ve got some delays, but I really hope before the next race we can definitely announce where I’ll be racing.”

Perez does have a contract with Force India for next season, but his future will be decided by his sponsors by virtue of an escape clause.

Perez is widely expected to remain with Force India, and when asked if he could offer any hints as to his destination for 2017 said: “I always said that I’d be very happy if I can stay and everything is fine for me to stay where I am.”

The Singapore Grand Prix is live across NBCSN, CNBC and the NBC Sports app this weekend.

Robert Wickens shares more positive strides toward recovery in new video

Joe Skibinski/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Robert Wickens has made massive steps since sustaining a spinal cord injury in an Aug. 19, 2018 crash at Pocono Raceway.

Since the accident, Wickens publicly has shared his recovery, often uploading videos of his physical rehabilitation on Twitter.

In his most recent update on Wednesday, Wickens shared a video of him walking on a treadmill. Fellow NTT IndyCar Series competitor Tony Kannan, who competes in triathlons during his spare time, also was visible running on the treadmill behind Wickens.

“When I am @TonyKannan [sic] age, I hope to run as fast as him…” Wickens tweeted. “Today was a good day!”

Wickens, who will turn 31 on March 13, first made his return to the IndyCar paddock in last year’s season opener in St. Petersburg. Since then, he’s made a return to the driver’s seat, piloting a specialized Acura NSX prior to the start of last year’s IndyCar race in his hometown of Toronto.

In September, Wickens fulfilled a vow to his wife Karli, by standing with her during their wedding. The new husband and wife also danced together during their reception.

Should Wickens fully recover to resume racing, Arrow McLaren SP co-owner Sam Schmidt has stated that the team’s No. 6 entry will be available for him to drive. Wickens continues to remain as a “driver coach and consultant” for the team.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter