Button disappointed as error ends Singapore Q3 hopes

© Getty Images
0 Comments

Jenson Button was left disappointed after an error in Q2 ruined his final flying lap in qualifying for the Singapore Grand Prix, ending his hopes of a top-10 grid slot.

McLaren arrived in Singapore hopeful of repeating its impressive display in Monaco earlier this year, the tight and twisting nature of the Marina Bay Street Circuit appearing to suit the MP4-31 car.

While Fernando Alonso was able to make it through to Q3 and eventually qualify ninth, Button was left to settle for 13th on the grid after hitting the wall on his last lap in Q2.

The contact with the wall at the exit of Turn 14 was minimal, but enough to leave Button with a busted rear-left wheel and a puncture, forcing him to park his car up.

“Up until qualifying, our weekend had been really tough,” Button said.

“But we made some changes to the car, and it felt really good this evening. It took a few setup tweaks and I found my confidence, so I was able to get the best out of the car in qualifying.

“Then, on my final run in Q2, I went a touch wide at the exit of Turn 14 and just tapped the wall on the exit.

“The impact broke the left-rear wheel and gave me a puncture – it was my fault.”

Button believes that he could have made it through to the final stage of qualifying had it not been for his error.

“It was definitely possible to get into Q3 today,” he said.

“My final lap in Q2 was looking very similar to Fernando’s before the puncture.

“Our long-run pace means the race could be difficult for us, but there’ll probably be some safety car periods and a bit of action, so anything could happen.”

Alonso was pleased with his charge to Q3 for McLaren, but is wary of the team’s chances of points on Sunday.

“On the face of it, I’m pleased. Getting into Q3 was our first objective, but our next is to be competitive in the race,” Alonso said.

“Our pace wasn’t great today and we struggled a little – in fact, good pace hasn’t come too easily to us this weekend.

“Hopefully we can improve for tomorrow though. Race strategy will be key, and I hope things can turn around for us a bit, especially if we get a good start, attack into the first corner and come out in a good position at the end of lap one.

“It might be a case of damage limitation in the race, but let’s see what we can do.”

The Singapore Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and the NBC Sports app from 7am ET on Sunday.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.