FIA set to investigate marshal incident in Singapore GP

2 Comments

The FIA will investigate the incident during Sunday’s Singapore Grand Prix that saw a marshal remain on-track when the race resumed at Marina Bay.

An early safety car period was called in Singapore following a crash for Nico Hulkenberg at the start, his Force India requiring removal by the marshals from the main straight.

Race control confirmed that green flag running would resume on lap three, with Nico Rosberg leading the field away.

However, TV footage showed a marshal running across the main straight just before the cars arrived at Turn 1, narrowly avoiding being caught out after getting out of the firing line.

According to a report from Autosport, the marshal was given the call to head out on-track after the circuit had been declared clear three times.

The FIA will now investigate the incident, saying it takes the matter “seriously” and that “everything will be done to ensure this does not happen again”.

Rosberg was asked about the incident after his winning for the eighth time this year in Singapore, admitting that the green flag call came as a surprise.

“That was pretty hairy, for sure,” Rosberg said.

“I think just as we didn’t expect the restart, he didn’t either, I think, because the restart was somehow pretty abrupt.

“But he got out of the way just about in time so it was OK. Of course we all had to drive a bit carefully through there.”

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.