© FIA Formula E

FIA Formula E launches New York City ePrix

1 Comment

NEW YORK CITY, NY – The FIA Formula E Championship has launched its New York event today ahead of the all-electric series’ third season.

Formula E confirmed in July that New York would be one of five new cities joining the calendar for the forthcoming season, along with Montreal, Marrakech, Brussels and Hong Kong, the latter hosting the season-opener on October 9.

At a launch event in New York on Wednesday, details regarding Formula E’s visit to Brooklyn, including the track layout, were unveiled.

See the release below for full details:

Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty will form a dramatic backdrop to the inaugural New York City ePrix, which the FIA Formula E Championship, the world’s first fully-electric racing series, today confirmed will take place in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

The 1.947km (1.21mile) track was revealed in front of a gathering of assorted media, city and state authorities, local dignitaries, Deputy Mayor for Economic Development Alicia Glen, ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport driver Lucas di Grassi, and FIA President Jean Todt at a press conference on the shores of New York Harbour at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

fe_nyc-track-map

The New York City ePrix double-header in mid-July will be the first FIA-sanctioned open-wheel race to take place within the five boroughs of New York City. The circuit, which remains subject to FIA track homologation, features 13 turns and will wind its way around Pier 11 and the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

Speaking at today’s press conference in New York, Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E, said: “To race in New York City is ahistoric moment – not only for Formula E, but for motorsport in general – and again highlights the philosophy of Formula E to bring fully-electric racing to the world’s greatest cities. When we originally started the project we could only dream of bringing Formula E to a place like New York, with arguably the most recognisable skyline of any city in the world. I’d like to thank everyone involved in helping bring Formula E to New York for many years to come.”

Jean Todt, President of the FIA, said: “Just being able to bring a motor race to the heart of a great city like New York is already an amazing achievement in itself. I am really pleased that this city is going to feature on the calendar of an FIA championship, especially Formula E, which provides the best possible combination of the two pillars that form the basis of the Federation, namely sport and mobility.

“Formula E brings motorsport to the heart of the most important and fascinating cities in the world -New York joins a list that includes, among others, Hong Kong, Buenos Aires, Paris, Marrakesh and Montreal, proving just how vibrant and attractive this series has become, even though it is about to embark on what is only its third season.”

Fred Dixon, NYC & Company’s President and CEO, said: “We are so pleased to welcome Formula E’s inaugural New York City ePrixto Brooklyn in 2017. This fully-electric racing series will not only showcase the best of what New York City has to offer, but will also reaffirm NYC’s position as one of the world’s best big event destinations.”

“Growing sustainable technology is core to New York City’s innovation economy and to Mayor de Blasio’s OneNYC plan,” said NYCEDC President Maria Torres-Springer. “This makes Formula E a perfect fit for New York, and we’re extremely excited to be welcoming this event – along with the economic investment it brings – to the Red Hook community.”‎

Sebastien Buemi, Renault e.DAMS driver and reigning Formula E champion, said: “New York is one of the world’s great cities. I think it will be an amazing event, particularly with that backdrop! I can’t wait to race there – I expect it’s going to be one of the most spectacular tracks we have been to so far. Formula E is always pushing the boundaries with where we go and, along with Hong Kong, Paris and Berlin, we can genuinely say we have the most exciting calendar ever seen in motorsport.”

Lucas di Grassi, ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport driver, said: “A race in New York is for me and my fellow drivers like a small dream. Congratulations to everyone at Formula E who has worked so hard for it, and have now let this dream be a reality. Just imagine seeing the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline from the pitlane! It will also be a sporting highlight as the track has a mix of fast sections, hairpin bends and a narrow infield directly on the waterfront.”

Indianapolis Motor Speedway can have 10,000 fans for IndyCar races

Indianapolis Motor Speedway fans
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Indianapolis Motor Speedway will have crowds for its NTT IndyCar Series race weekend next month, the first time fans are allowed at the track this year.

The track announced Friday that up to 10,000 fans will be allowed in the grandstands daily from Oct. 1-4. The IndyCar Harvest GP race doubleheader will be held on the track’s road course Oct. 2-3.

IMS has played host to several events this year without fans, including the 104th Indianapolis 500 on Aug. 23 and a NASCAR-IndyCar weekend July 4-5 that included the Brickyard 400. Plans originally were made to have fans at the Indy 500 before reversing course a few weeks ahead of the race. In a letter last month, Roger Penske vowed that fans would return for the 2021 Indy 500.

“We can’t wait to see fans come through our gates for the first time in 2020,” IMS president Doug Boles said in a release. “They’ll be greeted by a vastly improved facility, featuring significant upgrades to the spectator experience. We’re also extremely grateful to have a presenting sponsor with the expertise and resources of GMR as we look to implement our detailed and comprehensive health and safety plan.”

Fans will undergo temperature screenings upon entry and also be required to wear face coverings at all times on property. The track said each attendee will receive a mask and bottle of hand sanitizer.

The Friday, Oct. 2 race will be shown at 3:30 p.m. ET on USA, and NBC will broadcast the Saturday, Oct. 3 race at 2:30 p.m. ET.

Here’s the release from Indianapolis Motor Speedway:

INDIANAPOLIS, Friday, Sept. 18, 2020 – For the first time in 2020, Indianapolis Motor Speedway will welcome fans to the Racing Capital of the World for the INDYCAR Harvest GP presented by GMR weekend. Up to 10,000 spectators can be in the grandstands each day of racing action Oct. 1-4, per approval from the Marion County Public Health Department.

Tickets are available now via IMS.com and will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

The massive facility, which holds more than 300,000 people, will provide two spectator zones with up to 5,000 fans in each. The zones will be located in Turns 1 and 4 of the oval, offering strong sightlines of the road course. Strict health and safety rules will be in place, including the following:

  • Face coverings must be worn throughout the property at all times;
  • All fans will receive temperature screenings before gate entry;
  • Grandstand seats will be marked for distancing;
  • Attendees must use pre-assigned gates and remain in their designated zones.

Global Medical Response, the world leader in compassionate, quality emergency medical and patient relocation services, will be the presenting sponsor of the penultimate weekend of INDYCAR racing this season.

“We can’t wait to see fans come through our gates for the first time in 2020,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “They’ll be greeted by a vastly improved facility, featuring significant upgrades to the spectator experience. We’re also extremely grateful to have a presenting sponsor with the expertise and resources of GMR as we look to implement our detailed and comprehensive health and safety plan.”

The plan, which includes each attendee receiving a mask and a bottle of hand sanitizer upon entering the track, was developed in consultation with state and local health officials.

This event weekend is highlighted by an NTT INDYCAR SERIES doubleheader, with races Friday, Oct. 2 and Saturday, Oct. 3. It will be the penultimate event of the series’ season as the field pursues the champion’s prestigious Astor Challenge Cup to be awarded Sunday, Oct. 25 at the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

The INDYCAR Harvest GP will pay tribute to a storied IMS event, the Harvest Classic in September 1916. The Harvest Classic was the only racing event held outside of May at IMS from 1911 through 1993. The event featured three races, all won by legendary driver Johnny Aitken.

Fans also will see a host of facility improvements during the event weekend, including more than 30 new LED video boards, refreshed concession stands and restrooms, and 5G wireless connectivity throughout the facility.

The first race will air at 3:30 p.m. (ET) Friday, Oct. 2 on the USA Network. NBC will broadcast the second race at 2:30 p.m. (ET) Saturday, Oct. 3, with WTHR-13 airing the action live in Central Indiana.

Also racing that weekend will be the first pairing of two major sports car series — the Intercontinental GT Challenge Powered by Pirelli and its North American counterpart, GT World Challenge America Powered by AWS. Former Indianapolis 500 pole winner Ryan Briscoe is among the drivers in the Indianapolis 8 Hour event held Sunday, Oct. 4.

The event also will showcase drivers in SRO America’s Pirelli GT4 America, GT Sports Club America and the TC America series.

The full on-track schedule is available at IMS.com.