© INDYCAR

Andretti, Bryan Herta extend IndyCar partnership into 2017 season

Leave a comment

Andretti Autosport has announced an extension of its partnership with Bryan Herta Autosport into the 2017 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

The two parties teamed up to run the no. 98 Andretti-Herta Autosport entry in 2016 with Alexander Rossi, going on to win the 100th Indianapolis 500 and finish with Rookie of the Year honors.

In a statement issued by Andretti Autosport on Friday, it was confirmed that the partnership would extend into 2017, albeit without confirming who would be driving the Andretti-Herta car.

Here is the statement in full.

INDIANAPOLIS (Sept. 30, 2016) – Andretti Autosport announced today that the team has extended its Indianapolis 500 race-winning partnership with Bryan Herta Autosport through the 2017 season.

“We’re happy to have Bryan back with the team for 2017,” expressed owner of Andretti Autosport, Michael Andretti. “His team fits well into our family and we are excited to see continued growth and success with the partnership. Bryan is a long time friend and a true asset to our organization. We are eager to see what next season has in store.”

The partnership which formed late February 2016, proved to be a successful formula at the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 where the Andretti – Herta entry, piloted by Alexander Rossi, was crowned triumphant under the strategy calls of Bryan Herta. With a jump-start on the 2017 campaign, Herta will remain actively involved with overall Andretti team strategy.

“I am super thrilled to continue our partnership with Andretti Autosport,” said Bryan Herta. “We have a lot of exciting plans for the team throughout the off-season that I know can only make us more competitive for the 2017 season. Last year came together quite late, but this year we’ve committed early and that can only help better prepare us for next season.

“On a personal note – I would like to thank Michael [Andretti] and JF [Thormann] and the entire Andretti Autosport organization for welcoming our team into the family. I am 100-percent committed to helping the entire team in every way possible in order to see Andretti Autosport in Winner’s Circle many times next year.”

Dutch Grand Prix becomes fourth Formula 1 race canceled this season

EM VAN DER WAL/ANP/AFP via Getty Images
Leave a comment

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands — The Dutch Grand Prix became the fourth Formula One race canceled this season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, after organizers decided Thursday they didn’t want to play host to an event without spectators.

It was to be the first Dutch GP since 1985, but F1 wants to start the season with no spectators at races.

“We would like to celebrate this moment, the return of Formula 1 in Zandvoort, together with our racing fans in the Netherlands,” race director Jan Lammers said in a statement. “We ask everyone to be patient. I had to look forward to it for 35 years, so I can wait another year.”

The race in Zandvoort was set for May 3 and initially postponed. Fans who bought tickets can use them next year.

The coastal circuit has been redesigned, with some corners banked to facilitate faster racing.

The other races canceled this year were the season-opening Australian GP on March 15; the Monaco GP on May 24; and the French GP on June 28.

Another six have been postponed.

F1 organizers still hope to reschedule those and hold 15 to 18 races this season, starting in July with back-to-back races at the Austrian GP.