Case against Australians who stripped down at Malaysian GP is dismissed

© Getty Images
2 Comments

A court case in Malaysia brought against nine Australian men who stripped down to their underwear following last weekend’s Formula 1 race has been dismissed.

A group of nine men, one of whom was a government advisor, was arrested by officials at the Sepang International Circuit last Sunday after they celebrated Daniel Ricciardo’s victory for Red Bull.

Local police chief Abdul Aziz Ali said earlier this week that the men were being investigated for “intentional insult with intent to provoke a breach of peace” and public indecency, with the case being heard on Thursday.

Reuters reported on Thursday that the nine men issued an apology for their actions and initially pleaded guilty to a public nuisance offence before judge Harith Sham Mohamed Yasin dismissed the case, although not before issuing a stern warning.

“Let this serve as a reminder to all of you to learn about our local cultures and customs. What is perfectly acceptable in your country is not necessarily acceptable in other countries,” Harith said.

“We are remorseful of our actions on that day. We had no idea that our conduct would be deemed to be inappropriate, crass or even downright offensive to the citizens of this country,” read part of the apology issued by the nine men.