With Renault future unclear, Magnussen rebuffs IndyCar rumors

Getty Images
0 Comments

Kevin Magnussen could well be back with Renault Sport F1 Team next season, but his place is far from certain with his 2016 teammate Jolyon Palmer, Manor driver Esteban Ocon and even Williams’ Valtteri Bottas rumored for the second seat alongside newly signed Nico Hulkenberg.

One thing the talented 24-year-old Dane did opt to reject though was a RACER.com report out this week that Magnussen was in the frame for Andretti Autosport’s vacant fourth car in the Verizon IndyCar Series.

Magnussen’s father Jan raced in IndyCar – then called CART – on two occasions with Team Penske and Hogan/Penske Racing in 1996 and again with Patrick Racing in 1999, both in late-season cameos, before moving into sports cars where he’s carved a long-term successful career with Corvette Racing.

For the moment, the younger Magnussen is focusing on F1 first before any potential series switch, as he denied the rumors in a series of tweets on Tuesday.

“Unfortunately there is nothing yet to announce regarding my future, but hopefully there will be soon. I too am getting impatient!” Magnussen added in a third tweet, adding a smiley face and a “shoot himself” emoji afterwards.

This is not the first time Magnussen’s F1 future has been in doubt. Magnussen twisted in the wind in 2014 while waiting for McLaren to make its decision about whether he’d be retained, and instead, he was third driver with Fernando Alonso joining and Jenson Button continuing.

As Magnussen looks ahead to Austin this weekend, where he qualified seventh and finished eighth in 2014, he reflected on that run.

“I can remember holding on to the car when we were getting a lot of tire degradation at the end of the race and I finished in the points. That would be good this time too,” he said in the team’s advance release.

“I do love the United States and I know it well from visiting many times. The race in Austin is a great event and the circuit is really good. The fans really get behind you and I’m sure they’ll be out in force as the weather looks like it will be a lot better than all the rain we saw last year!”

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.