Circuit of The Americas to honor late Lon Bromley on Saturday

Bromley (lead) in 2001. Photo: Jonathan Ferrey/Allsport (Getty Images Archive)
0 Comments

AUSTIN, Texas – The late Lon Bromley, who was instrumental in racing safety and served a major role in the traveling CART Safety Team, will be honored today before Sunday’s United States Grand Prix at Circuit of The Americas.

Bromley died earlier this month in a boating accident; a good tribute from a couple of my old colleagues, Anne Proffit and David Malsher, is filed here for Motorsport.com.

After his time with CART, Bromley was Director of Safety at Circuit of The Americas.

The FIA issued a press release Saturday morning confirming there’d be a commemorative minute of noise to honor his memory.

That release is posted below in its entirety:

Following the recent passing of Lon Bromley, Director of Safety at Circuit of The Americas, and to honour his memory, today at 12.30pm all cars crewed by circuit officials and all fire trucks will blow their horns in a commemorative minute of noise.

The remembrance is designed to signify Lon’s passion for racing, his love for a sport characterised by noise and power.

Prior to working at COTA, Lon acted as Director of Safety for the Champ Car series from 1987 to 2008. He was much in demand as an advisor and trainer on safety issues and will be sadly missed by all at the Circuit of The Americas and by the wider motorsport community in the US and internationally.

Matteo Bonciani
FIA Formula One Head of Communications & Media Delegate

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.