© Getty Images

Ecclestone suggests ‘a bit of showbiz’ surrounding accidents in F1

4 Comments

Formula 1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone suggests there should be “a bit of showbiz” surrounding accidents in the sport, as well as saying he would like to build more walls on corners to increase the risk factor for drivers.

Ecclestone, 85, raised the idea when speaking to journalists in Austin, Texas last weekend at the United States Grand Prix.

More and more circuits have ditched gravel traps on the outside of corners in favor of extended tarmac run-off areas.

Despite offering improved safety, the tarmac run-off does encourage drivers to extend the limits of the track more, leading to a possible abuse of the confines of the circuit.

Ecclestone is quoted by Reuters as calling for greater risk in F1, with reference to the improvement in safety standards through the sport’s history.

“In those days, and it can’t happen again, people would come to a race and think somebody could get killed,” Ecclestone said.

“Today they know they come to a race and nobody is going to get killed, which is good.

“I’ve been criticized probably by everybody because I wanted to build 40 cm walls around the corners. They keep saying they mustn’t go off the road; I promise they won’t.”

Ecclestone also said there should be “a bit of showbiz” surrounding accidents in F1 that would leave fans uncertain of the condition of the driver, before referring to Fernando Alonso’s high-speed crash in March’s Australian Grand Prix.

“What Fernando had in Australia… You wouldn’t think he was going to walk away,” Ecclestone said.

“What we ought to do immediately that happens is have big sheets all the way around, bring the ambulance in and take him away.

“He’s gone to the hospital and later you announce that, thank God, he’s out.

“A bit of showbiz. People like that.”

The most recent fatality in F1 was Marussia driver Jules Bianchi, who died nine months after sustaining severe head injuries in the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix when he struck a recovery vehicle in torrential rain.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.