Formula E will have to find a new venue for its race in Buenos Aires, Argentina as of 2018 after it was confirmed earlier this week that February’s event will be the last at Puerto Madero.
Buenos Aires is one of just two cities to have appeared in all three Formula E seasons – the other being Berlin – and will welcome the all-electric series once again on February 18.
A park in the coastal district of Puerto Madero was transformed into a street circuit for the race, posing one of the greatest challenges on the Formula E calendar to drivers with a fast, flowing layout.
However, with the local government set to push on with redevelopment work in the area, the decision has been taken to move the race away from Puerto Madero.
“We will work along with the government to find another location,” Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag said of the move, as quoted by motorsport.com.
“We want to find a new track and this is key in order to renew the contract between Formula E and Buenos Aires for the future.”
Agag is relishing the upcoming race in Buenos Aires, believing that the third edition of the city’s ePrix can live up to the expectations stemming from the previous two events.
“It’s fantastic to be returning to Buenos Aires for a third time in as many seasons. The two races in Puerto Madero have seen some incredible action and always feature strongly in the end of season highlights reel,” Agag said.
“Last season the eventual champion Sebastien Buemi fought his way through from last on the grid to finish second behind Sam Bird.
“One of the best things about Argentina is the fans – they are so passionate, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. South America has deep roots in motorsport and many champions across a number of categories, including three-time WTCC champion and DS Virgin Racing driver Jose Maria Lopez.
“The atmosphere in the city will be incredible for Pechito’s home race – it’s going to be very special.”