Robert Kubica will test an LMP1 car for FIA World Endurance Championship team ByKolles at the end-of-season rookie test in Bahrain on Sunday.
Ex-Formula 1 driver Kubica claimed one grand prix victory during his stint in the sport from 2006 to 2010, before being forced to quit due to injuries sustained in a rally crash during the off-season before the 2011 season.
The severity of the injuries to his right arm and hand meant that Kubica could not return to single-seaters, instead making his comeback in the World Rally Championship in 2013.
The Pole won the WRC2 title in his debut season before stepping up to the main WRC class, only to find minimal success before leaving the series following the 2016 Rally Monte Carlo.
Kubica took part in a Renault Sport Trophy race this fall, finishing on the podium on debut, and will now continue to progress in his planned return to circuit racing for 2017 by entering the WEC rookie test on Sunday with ByKolles.
ByKolles has raced in the LMP1 privateer class through 2016 with a CLM P1/01 car, taking class victory in Shanghai earlier this month, but is yet to confirm its plans for next season.
Besides Kubica, Daytona and Sebring winner Pipo Derani, LMP2 champion Gustavo Menezes and French racer Paul-Loup Chatin will also be testing LMP1 cars in Bahrain for Toyota, Porsche and Audi respectively.
The WEC rookie test takes place at the Bahrain International Circuit on Sunday November 20.
ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).
“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.
“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”
For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.
“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.
“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”
Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.
“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.