WATCH: Hinchcliffe fulfills “blank space” chapter in DWTS freestyle

Leave a comment

James Hinchcliffe has a chance to emulate Helio Castroneves as a “Dancing with the Stars” champion, as the talented 29-year-old Canadian along with dance partner Sharna Burgess performed an emotional freestyle dance on the final night of competition before Tuesday’s finals (ABC; check local listings).

While the pair’s foxtrot dance ended the first round of dancing on the night with a respectable – if not perfect – 37 of 40 score from the judges, it was the pair’s second dance on the night that will go down in “DWTS” lore.

Burgess, renowned as an incredible choreographer, and Hinchcliffe came up with the idea that his time spent in hospital after his accident in practice for 2015 Indianapolis 500 needed the “blank space” to be filled in.

Hinchcliffe, after his car careened into the Turn 3 wall, has no recollection of the accident that nearly claimed his life as it occurred in real time.

The story and dance outlined above for the pair’s freestyle worked to capture the emotions of Hinchcliffe not just surviving the accident, but walking again, driving again, and now, dancing again.

The judges gave it a perfect 40 of 40 score, and as you’ll see above via the official Dancing with the Stars YouTube page, it merited every one of those 40 points.

Hinchliffe will battle fellow athletes Calvin Johnson and Laurie Hernandez for the show’s coveted Mirror Ball Trophy.

View this post on Instagram

I'm so proud of you @hinchtown!! You have impressed me week after week, you aren't the natural talent this season, but you've worked your butt off to make it to the top. I know you say it's all me, but trust me babe… it's very much all you. YOU are incredible and I would love to see you win it not for a mirrorball but to validate all the hours and the dedication you've given this season. However… regardless what happens.. for me.. YOU are my mirrorball, YOU are the best thing that could have come out of this season. I love our friendship, I found my long lost brother, and from here out you wont get rid of me 😉 We need you #teamstopandgo!!! Please vote!! Voting closes at 11pm PST tonight but you can still vote online!! We love you!! We're almost there!!! #dwts #TeamStopAndGo ğŸŽğŸ’¨

A post shared by Sharna Burgess (@sharnaburgess) on

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.