Ferrari says farewell and thank you to Felipe Massa before final GP

Getty Images
1 Comment

Felipe Massa nearly produced Scuderia Ferrari’s most recent World Championship in 2008 before losing it once Lewis Hamilton crossed the line in fifth at that year’s Brazilian Grand Prix.

A sporting hero in Brazil who received the moment his career deserved after his accident took him out of last week’s Brazilian Grand Prix has now received a sporting gesture of thanks and farewell from Ferrari going into his final race, at this week’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Ferrari’s message reads as follows:

“The whole of Ferrari sends its greetings to Felipe Massa on his last competitive weekend of Formula 1. Felipe has been connected to the Scuderia for over 10 years including eight as a race driver featuring 11 wins, 15 pole positions, 36 podiums and very nearly the world title in 2008. His competitive qualities and great passion have made him one of the Scuderia drivers most loved by fans around the world.

“We send a big thanks to you Felipe for these wonderful years together, for the generosity that has always marked you on track and off, and for how you have successfully combined humanity and professionalism in a complex environment such as Formula 1.

“Obrigado Felipe, good luck for your future projects and a big hug to you and your wonderful family from all of us at Ferrari.”

Massa won all 11 of his Grands Prix with Ferrari between 2006 and 2008; his stint with the Scuderia ran from 2006 through 2013 as a race driver, before his final act these last three years with Williams Martini Racing. He is set to make his 250th and final Grand Prix start this weekend.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.