© Getty Images

Nasr expects Brazil points to boost chances of 2017 F1 seat

Leave a comment

Felipe Nasr believes that his charge to ninth place in the Brazilian Grand Prix two weeks ago will boost his chances of staying in Formula 1 for the 2017 season.

Nasr picked up Sauber’s first points of the year in Brazil to lift the team above Manor into 10th place in the constructors’ championship.

By finishing higher in the teams’ standings, Sauber is set to receive over $10 million extra in prize money than it would have had it finished last behind Manor.

Nasr is currently engaged in talks with Sauber about a seat for 2017, with his chief financial backer Banco do Brasil yet to confirm its plans for next year.

Although negotiations are dragging on, Nasr thinks that his result in Brazil will help his chances of getting a third season in F1 next year.

“I would expect that it does help for sure. If anything that a racing driver can do is to contribute to a team with points and I know how much these points are valuable,” Nasr said.

“Let’s put it this way, we know how much these points mean in terms of the championship the points and the restructuring the team will take for ’17, so it’s the best I could have given them.”

Nasr confirmed that his talks are centered on Sauber for 2017 despite there being two free seats at the rival Manor team.

“There are still negotiations going on. The talks are with Sauber mainly, that’s our priority right now,” Nasr said.

“As I said, I have a great relationship with the team. It’s been two great years. We saw the two sides of the coin. The first year I had in Formula 1, I was able to do so much, to achieve so much in a very first year.

“The second, we had such a difficult time, the car being uncompetitive, but it was nice that we were able to get those two points in Brazil.

“I’m sure that has given a boost to the team. These two points mean a lot for myself, for the team and hopefully we will know it soon.”

Sauber confirmed earlier this week that Nasr’s teammate, Marcus Ericsson, would be remaining with the team for 2017.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.