Jenson Button’s final F1 race ends in early retirement (VIDEO)

1 Comment

Jenson Button’s final Formula 1 race came to a disappointingly early end after the Briton suffered a front-right upright failure on his McLaren just 13 laps into the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Button announced in September that he would be taking a step back from an F1 race seat for the 2017 season, having made his first start back in 2000 and been on the grid ever since.

Despite having a deal to race for McLaren in 2018 should both the driver and team be interested, Button admitted earlier this weekend that he was treating Sunday’s race in Abu Dhabi as his last.

Button qualified 12th for the race, and moved into the top 10 early on, only to suffer a sudden failure on his car after running hard over one of the curb chicanes, damaging the front-right upright and suspension.

Button reported the issue to the McLaren pit wall, who told him to bring the car back into the pits and retire from the race.

“I don’t think we’ve ever suffered a failure like this,” Button chuckled over the radio, the disappointment in his voice impossible to hide.

Upon returning to the pits, Button clambered out of his car before standing on the cockpit and waving to the fans in the grandstand that offered him a standing ovation, paying tribute to the Briton at the end of a storied grand prix career. He also embraced his mom, who was on site.

Button reflected on the early end of the race in a post-race interview with NBCSN’s Will Buxton.

“It’s tricky. I should have won! But that wasn’t on the cards so I thought I’d retire early,” Button laughed.

“But today doesn’t matter. This result means nothing. It’s about having fun. Today was about enjoying the emotions of F1 as a whole with the fans. It meant I could celebrate with the fans when I got out of the car. McLarens don’t fail… but maybe today this happened for a reason. I’m gonna have a jolly good time this evening.

“Last night was amazing. Long dinner reminiscing. We filmed a lot of it… that’s dangerous. Hopefully we don’t lose that camera. Tough moments as well. But also great ones.

“Finishing early today is not a negative. I get to see these great people sooner rather than later.”

Santino Ferrucci will drive No. 14 for AJ Foyt Racing full time in 2023 IndyCar season

Santino Ferrucci AJ Foyt
James Gilbert/Getty Images
0 Comments

Santino Ferrucci will return to full-time racing in the NTT IndyCar Series next season, joining AJ Foyt Racing.

Ferrucci had made eight IndyCar starts with three teams since his last full-time season in 2020 while also racing part time in the NASCAR Xfinity Series this year.

He will drive the storied No. 14 Dallara-Chevrolet for four-time Indy 500 winner A.J. Foyt’s team, which will field the car from its Waller, Texas headquarters.

“It’s incredibly exciting to be back in the INDYCAR Series full time,” Ferrucci said in a team release. “Being a part-time driver over the last two years has been hard for me, personally. I’m a race car driver, and I want to compete. Working with different teams has been exciting, and I’m proud that no matter which car I’ve raced, I’ve always shown speed and consistency. I couldn’t be more excited to join AJ Foyt Racing in the 14 Chevy. I can’t wait to make the best of it.”

Ferrucci, 24, had finished a career-best fourth in IndyCar four times, including the 104th Indy 500 in 2020. He was the 2019 Indy 500 rookie of the year with a sixth.

In nine Xfinity starts since 2021, Ferrucci has a career-best finish of 13th at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

“I am thrilled to welcome Santino to the team,” Larry Foyt said in a release. “He’s shown a knack for getting toward the front of the field, and I think he is a racer who moves forward on race day. A.J. sees the fire in him and has enjoyed their meetings together. I think Santino’s experience will help his rookie teammate as well, so he is a great addition to our roster.”

Ferrucci will be teamed at AJ Foyt Racing with Benjamin Pedersen, who finished fifth in the 2022 Indy Lights standings. The team has yet to specify the number for Pedersen’s entry, which will be fielded out of its Indianapolis race shop.

Foyt’s two full-time drivers last season were Dalton Kellett and Kyle Kirkwood, who is moving to Andretti Autosport.