Getty Images

2017 Dakar Rally: Paraguay joins Argentina, Bolivia; Robby Gordon to bypass event

1 Comment

The 2017 Dakar Rally has one major addition and one significant name missing from the list of competitors.

Dakar Rally coverage begins on Tuesday, January 3, at 5:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.

New to the 37th edition of the Rally is the addition of Paraguay to the course map, joining Argentina and Bolivia. Paraguay becomes the 29th different country to be one of the hosts of the Rally over its 36 years of existence, the last nine being held in South America after safety concerns prompted cancellation of the 2008 Rally.

This year’s Rally begins Jan. 2 in Asuncion, Paraguay and ends on Jan. 14 near Buenos Aires, Argentina.

NBCSN’s daily coverage of this year’s Dakar Rally begins on Jan. 3 at 5:30 p.m. ET.

“The route of the 2017 Dakar preserves rally-raid traditions,” new Rally sporting director Mark Coma said in a media release, adding “with a physical challenge that will push the competitors into the world of extreme endurance: 7 selective sections will be over 400 kilometers (248.548 miles) with one of more than 500 kilometers (310.686 miles).

2017-dakar-rally-logo-correct-one-use-this-one“The Rally will be spent 6 days at more than 3,000 meters (9,842.52 feet) above sea level. The balance of difficulties can be illustrated by a double upward trend: the level of difficulty will increase just until the rest day, then a second increase in power will be necessary to reach one’s ideal level for the ‘Super Belen.’ Nothing will be decided until the very last special stage at Rio Cuarto.”

As for the one significant name missing, American driver Robby Gordon – who has starred in IndyCar, NASCAR, off-road racing and is also the founder of the Stadium Super Trucks Series – will not be participating in this year’s event.

“The reason for not running Dakar is that I have been just way too busy with my other projects,” Gordon said in an email to MotorSportsTalk. “Stadium Super Trucks continues to grow, as we have a full schedule in 2017 with races on 3 continents, including 5 races in the US with IndyCar and 2 of our own Stadium Style events. In Australia we have a relationship with V8 Supercars where we have 2 events. And now we are going to China with Stadium Super Trucks for 2 events in 2017.”

Gordon is also working on new projects within his Speed Energy drink, the Arctic Cat 4-wheel platform and continues development of the Gordini Dakar race cars, which will not be ready for this year’s Rally.

However, there are three American competitors to keep a close watch on: motorcycle rider Ricky Brabec, who finished ninth in his Rally debut last year, and Mini driver Bryce Menzies (co-driver is fellow U.S. racer Peter Mortensen). Both Menzies and Mortensen are making their first appearance in the Rally.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

Keating stripped of Le Mans GTE-Am win; No. 68 Ganassi entry also disqualified

IMSA
2 Comments

FIA stewards announced Monday that two Ford GT entries have been disqualified from this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, including the GTE-Am class-winning No. 85 entry from privateer Keating Motorsports.

Also DQ’d was the factory No. 68 Chip Ganassi Racing entry of Joey Hand, Dirk Mueller and Sebastien Bourdais, which initially finished fourth in the GTE-Pro class.

Both entries were found in violation of fuel capacity regulations, with the No. 85 entry also failing to meet the minimum refueling time during pit stops.

The refueling system on the No. 85 entry, driven by Ben Keating, Jeroen Bleekemolen and Felipe Fraga, measured a time of 44.4 seconds during a stop, just shy of the minimum required time of 45 seconds.

As a result, the team was initially issued a 55.2-second post-race penalty by officials, which elevated the No. 56 Team Project 1 Porsche 911 RSR of Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Lindsey, and Egidio Perfetti to the class win.

The time penalty was calculated by the difference in the refueling time (0.6 seconds) multiplied by the amount of pit stops made by the team (23), then multiplied by four.

The No. 85 entry was set to finish second in class, but then received an outright DQ after its fuel capacity was also revealed to be 0.1 liters above the maximum permitted capacity of 96 liters.

As for Ganassi’s No. 68 entry, it was found to have a fuel capacity of 97.83 liters, which is above the maximum allowed capacity of 97 liters for the GTE-Pro Fords.

The No. 67 Ford of Andy Priaulx, Harry Tincknell, and Jonathan Bomarito subsequently moves up to fourth, and the No. 69 Ford of Scott Dixon, Ryan Briscoe and Richard Westbrook moves up to fifth.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter