Williams expecting to make announcement on Bottas’ future in next week

© Getty Images
1 Comment

Williams Formula 1 deputy boss Claire Williams expects the team to make an announcement regarding the future of Valtteri Bottas in the next week.

Bottas is poised to join Mercedes for the 2017 season following the shock retirement of World Champion Nico Rosberg, announced just five days after clinching his maiden title in Abu Dhabi.

Mercedes decided against promoting junior driver Pascal Wehrlein into Rosberg’s vacant seat, and instead targeted Bottas as its first choice to team up with Lewis Hamilton this year.

Bottas had already agreed to race for Williams in 2017, but will be released from his contract after the team managed to persuade Felipe Massa to postpone his retirement.

The Brazilian made what was planned to be his final F1 start in Abu Dhabi, but is due to partner 18-year-old rookie Lance Stroll at Williams.

Speaking to Sky Sports News at Autosport International on Sunday, Claire Williams said that she expected news to come in the next seven days, setting the wheels in motion to complete the grid for 2017.

“It has been dragging on and I think everyone wants to know. It is a great opportunity for Valtteri, and he has given a lot to Williams,” Williams said.

“We’ve always said if we can make this happen on terms that are positive for Williams then it is probably the right thing to do.

“No one needs or wants a driver in your team that really wants to be somewhere else. It is not nice either to stop a driver who has such a great opportunity, particularly at this point of Valtteri’s career.

“But it has to work for Williams and that is what we’ve been working hard on over the past six weeks.

“We are nearly there. We are at the tail-end of it and hope we’ll be able to make an announcement this coming week.”

With Bottas set to join Mercedes and Massa to return to Williams, Wehrlein is expected to take the final secure seat on the grid for 2017 by joining Sauber.

Manor is yet to confirm any of its plans for 2017 after entering administration last week, raising concerns about whether the team will race at all this year.