Pertamina Arden has confirmed the signing of Sean Gelael and Norman Nato into race seats ahead of the 2017 GP2 Series season.
Nato, 24, made his GP2 debut with Arden back in 2015 before joining Racing Engineering for 2016, where he took two race wins en route to sixth place in the championship.
Gelael, 20, entered GP2 last year with Campos and scored two points finishes, including a charge to second place in Austria.
Gelael’s chief backer, Pertamina, has confirmed a sponsorship deal with Arden for 2017, leading to the Indonesian driver being confirmed in a seat alongside Nato.
“I am really pleased to join Pertamina Arden this year. It’s a very experienced team who has shown consistency through the seasons,” Gelael said.
“The post-season test in Abu Dhabi went well so it was obvious to keep working together for the 2017 season.
“Last year helped me to learn more about GP2 so my goal for this year is to be a front-runner in every race and I can’t wait to get started.
“Norman will be a strong teammate with all of his experience and I’m happy to team up with him.”
Nato added: ““I am very happy to join the Jagonya Ayam family and to re-join Arden this season for the GP2 Series. It is where I made my debut in GP2 so it’s great to be back again.
“Last year was a strong season for me so I’m really optimistic we can do a good job with Sean and the team. The aim is to put our experiences together in order to be competitive and to fight for wins and points at every race.”
The new GP2 season gets underway on April 15 in Bahrain.
The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.
IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.
This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.
INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists
IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.
“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.
“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”
It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.