Getty Images

Former IndyCar team owner Hartman running for Governor of Kansas

Leave a comment

Wink Hartman helped launch Josef Newgarden’s Verizon IndyCar Series career, when he was a co-owner with Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing from 2012 through 2015 (first as SFHR, then as the combined CFH Racing when the Fisher/Hartman partnership joined Ed Carpenter Racing in 2015).

Hartman’s now venturing into a launch of a different kind: running for Governor of the state of Kansas.

Hartman’s introductory video, linked here, goes on the motive of saying Topeka needs to be fixed and that “putting career politicians in charge isn’t the solution.”

From L to R: Hartman, Fisher, Carpenter. Photo: SFHR
From L to R: Hartman, Fisher, Carpenter. Photo: SFHR

An oil man by trade, Hartman’s support for IndyCar racing waned as the oil prices went down. Hartman Oil was a sponsor more often than not on Newgarden’s No. 67 car throughout his first four years in the series. Ed Carpenter Racing re-emerged as its own team from 2016, after its first three years were as ECR from 2012 to 2014.

Now, the Wichita businessman is venturing back into politics. Via Kansas.com, he ran for a congressional seat in 2010 but lost to Mike Pompeo.

Newgarden won his first two races in IndyCar driving for Hartman’s team. It’s now time to see if Hartman will be doing any winning of his own.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.