Force India owner Vijay Mallya and Renault Formula 1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul have clashed following comments made by the latter regarding the chances of privateer teams in 2017.
Force India finished as the leading privateer outfit in 2016, securing its best-ever constructors’ championship result of P4 at the end of the season, while Renault struggled during its first year back in F1 as a constructor, ending up ninth.
2017 sees the introduction of new technical regulations that are set to shake up the pecking order, with the rate of development also set to become more intense through the campaign.
Abiteboul told reporters earlier this week that he thought private teams such as Force India would struggle to keep up with its manufacturer rivals, believing that 2017 would become an “arms race”.
“I think this season will also really be an arms race,” Abiteboul said, as quoted by crash.net.
“I really feel for the teams who are under-resourced because clearly when I see this car that we are presenting today is not the car that will test in Barcelona and the car in Barcelona is not the car that will race in Melbourne.
“I think most of the car build budget for Force India will be gone by now just to cope with the new regulations. So that is something that we are also taking into account.
“With the level of resources that we have we should be easily capable of beating teams like Haas, like Force India and so on and so forth.”
Mallya hit back during Force India’s car launch on Wednesday, saying that he hoped Abiteboul would come to regret his comments.
“We have always dreamed big. We have never had conversations even in private that we cannot break into the top three,” Mallya said.
“That is going to be our objective. We will certainly give it our best shot.
“I read an article this morning where Renault’s Cyril Abiteboul said teams like Force India may struggle in an arms race. Good luck to him. He may have to eat his words.
“It’s not the amount of arms you have, but the quality of your weaponry.”
Mallya also fired back at Abiteboul on Twitter late on Wednesday evening.
Force India and Renault will go head-to-head on-track for the first time in 2017 at the Australian Grand Prix on March 26.