In the second race extension this week, the Canadian Grand Prix has been confirmed for an extension through to 2029, thus keeping the popular event at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal on the Formula 1 calendar for more than a decade to come. The Russian Grand Prix was confirmed earlier this week to continue through to 2025.
The race’s most recent extension was announced in 2014, when Montreal mayor Denis Coderre announced a 10-year extension through to 2024 (via GlobalNews.ca). The municipality ponied up to keep the race and the city announced plans for investments at the track itself.
Today’s extension comes from race promoter Francois Dumontier, who’s on site at this week’s first test of the Formula 1 season at the Circuit de Catalunya-Barcelona. Via Sportsnet.ca, the extension was all but a formality after Coderre said in January that Montreal planned to extend with Formula One Management.
Lance Stroll joins the grid this year with Williams Martini Racing as Canada’s first active driver in F1 since Jacques Villeneuve raced in 2006. The younger Villeneuve won races and the 1997 World Championship with Williams, before his own F1 career tailed off from those stratospheric levels.
The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.
IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.
This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.
INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists
IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.
“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.
“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”
It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.