Getty Images

Horner hopes Liberty uses Ecclestone ‘constructively’ in F1 management

Leave a comment

Red Bull Racing chief Christian Horner believes that Formula 1’s new owner, Liberty Media, should continue to work with former CEO Bernie Ecclestone in a constructive manner to help grow the sport.

Liberty completed its takeover of F1 back in January, with Ecclestone losing his position as CEO and receiving the honorary title of ‘chairman emeritus’.

American executive Chase Carey has taken over the day-to-day running of F1, but Ecclestone is still set to attend around half of the grands prix on the 2017 calendar.

Last weekend’s Australian Grand Prix marked the first race in several decades that Ecclestone was not in overall charge of, and was regarded as being the start of a new era for F1.

However, Horner believes that Ecclestone’s knowledge and influence within F1 means that he should still play an integral role in the sport’s management, and that Liberty should work with the 86-year-old accordingly.

“What Bernie’s done for Formula 1 has been amazing. The sport is what it is today because of what he created,” Horner said.

“I think in the role that he has, he’s still going to be in a position to contribute, he still has a huge amount of historical knowledge, respect and relationships around the world and I think that harnessed and used in the right way is an asset to Formula 1.

“I’m sure he’ll be at some forthcoming events and yeah, I think hopefully the new owners can use him constructively and beneficially to build on the good work that’s already been done.”

Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene echoed Horner’s thoughts, saying the strong base which Ecclestone put F1 on must be respected and recognized.

“I think that Bernie deserves all our respect because if we are here and if the sport grows it is thanks to him,” Arrivabene said.

“I think that the new group that is owning Formula 1 is here to make this sport grow even more so there is no future without the good historical base.

“If we have a good historical base then I think the new owners are looking forward to continue to grow and that’s thanks to Bernie for everything he’s done and now we need to look forward.”

Ecclestone is due to make his first appearance back in the F1 paddock over the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend on April 14-16.

Robert Wickens shares more positive strides toward recovery in new video

Joe Skibinski/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Robert Wickens has made massive steps since sustaining a spinal cord injury in an Aug. 19, 2018 crash at Pocono Raceway.

Since the accident, Wickens publicly has shared his recovery, often uploading videos of his physical rehabilitation on Twitter.

In his most recent update on Wednesday, Wickens shared a video of him walking on a treadmill. Fellow NTT IndyCar Series competitor Tony Kannan, who competes in triathlons during his spare time, also was visible running on the treadmill behind Wickens.

“When I am @TonyKannan [sic] age, I hope to run as fast as him…” Wickens tweeted. “Today was a good day!”

Wickens, who will turn 31 on March 13, first made his return to the IndyCar paddock in last year’s season opener in St. Petersburg. Since then, he’s made a return to the driver’s seat, piloting a specialized Acura NSX prior to the start of last year’s IndyCar race in his hometown of Toronto.

In September, Wickens fulfilled a vow to his wife Karli, by standing with her during their wedding. The new husband and wife also danced together during their reception.

Should Wickens fully recover to resume racing, Arrow McLaren SP co-owner Sam Schmidt has stated that the team’s No. 6 entry will be available for him to drive. Wickens continues to remain as a “driver coach and consultant” for the team.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter