Dominant Formula 2 front runner Charles Leclerc has confirmed he’ll spend a day in the Ferrari SF-17 during the post-Hungarian Grand Prix test, the Tuesday and Wednesday after the race.
He’s tested with Haas F1 Team before with four FP1 outings last year, but this will be his first time in the current Ferrari chassis.
The Monegasque driver has spent this year racking up wins in F2 at an incredible clip, some in dominant fashion and others in comeback mode. His weekend performance at Baku was particularly noteworthy as it came after the loss of his father, showing incredible mental resolve and fortitude.
Leclerc posted the news on Twitter on Tuesday following media reports that emerged on Monday about the test.
Leclerc is not the only driver confirmed for the upcoming test, which runs the Tuesday and Wednesday after the Hungarian Grand Prix on July 30.
Sahara Force India has confirmed Lucas Auer and Nikita Mazepin will also have half a day each. Mazepin has tested once previously while Auer, the DTM driver, will have his first run in a Formula 1 car. More information is here via the official F1 website.
Auer was rumored to test a couple weeks ago, as Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff said he was keen to get the DTM driver an F1 run.
ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).
“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.
“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”
For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.
“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.
“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”
Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.
“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.