Getty Images

Mick Schumacher drives father Michael’s F1 title winning car at Spa

Leave a comment

Mick Schumacher, the son of seven-time Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher, completed a poignant show run ahead of Sunday’s Belgian Grand Prix in his father’s championship-winning Benetton B194 car.

Schumacher Jr., 18, was given the chance to sample the Benetton that took his father to a maiden world title in 1994 in front of a bumper crowd at Spa.

The demonstration was organized to celebrate 25 years since Michael Schumacher’s maiden grand prix victory, coming at Spa in 1992.

Schumacher Jr. completed a lap in the Benetton, sporting a half-and-half helmet that combined his own design with his father’s from 1994.

“Amazing, amazing. It was incredible to be able to drive it,” Schumacher Jr. said.

“I really thought it was just great to use the 1994 helmet livery of my dad and myself. I’m just amazed by the car. It was awesome.

“It’s difficult to compare [to the F3 car] for sure. It’s two different things.

“To be able to drive the F1 car here is just amazing and I’m really honoured to do that here.”

Schumacher Jr. was greeted on the main straight by Ross Brawn and Pat Symonds, both of whom were on the pit wall the day for Schumacher’s win.

“You can’t come to Spa without thinking about Michael. It was Michael’s circuit,” said Brawn.

Symonds added: “Mick, the one thing I do know is that you father would be very, very proud of you today.”

The Formula 3 racer was also gifted a special picture book by Mercedes, going from his father’s 1994 title win right the way up to his own initial test in the Benetton earlier this month, highlighting all the big moments for the Schumacher family in the sport.

Michael Schumacher remains under close care at his home in Switzerland, three-and-a-half years on from suffering severe head injuries in a skiing accident.

Dutch Grand Prix becomes fourth Formula 1 race canceled this season

EM VAN DER WAL/ANP/AFP via Getty Images
Leave a comment

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands — The Dutch Grand Prix became the fourth Formula One race canceled this season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, after organizers decided Thursday they didn’t want to play host to an event without spectators.

It was to be the first Dutch GP since 1985, but F1 wants to start the season with no spectators at races.

“We would like to celebrate this moment, the return of Formula 1 in Zandvoort, together with our racing fans in the Netherlands,” race director Jan Lammers said in a statement. “We ask everyone to be patient. I had to look forward to it for 35 years, so I can wait another year.”

The race in Zandvoort was set for May 3 and initially postponed. Fans who bought tickets can use them next year.

The coastal circuit has been redesigned, with some corners banked to facilitate faster racing.

The other races canceled this year were the season-opening Australian GP on March 15; the Monaco GP on May 24; and the French GP on June 28.

Another six have been postponed.

F1 organizers still hope to reschedule those and hold 15 to 18 races this season, starting in July with back-to-back races at the Austrian GP.