Getty Images

‘No conflict’ between Mercedes, Ferrari over F1 oil burn ruling

Leave a comment

Chiefs from both Mercedes and Ferrari’s Formula 1 operations have denied any conflict or friction over the FIA’s technical directive reducing the level of oil burn permitted in power units, coming into force at last weekend’s Italian Grand Prix.

The FIA clarified at the end of last month that any engine upgrades introduced between Monza and the end of the season would have to adhere to a new oil consumption limit of 0.9L/100km, reduced from 1.2L/100km.

Mercedes appeared to have got a jump on the rival Ferrari team by introducing its final major power unit update of the season at Spa, meaning it could race under the old allowance until the end of the season.

Reports in the Italian press claimed Mercedes had broken a gentleman’s agreement with Ferrari not to introduce any updates until the new limit came into force, but both teams denied there is any friction or significant advantage to be gained.

“We have no conflict. I don’t want to comment on this kind of thing,” Ferrari F1 chief Maurizio Arrivabene said.

“Mercedes introduced one engine early. That also has disadvantages during the course of the season, because you have no more development. This is the end of my comment.”

“I think it was completely blown out of proportion,” Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff added.

“Exactly what Maurizio said, the reasons we have introduced it early was in order to bring some performance to the track, with the risk of having to do many races until the end of the season – more races than our direct competitors, number one.

“Number two, you lack for further development. The longer you wait for the last introduction of engine, the more you can probably add the upgrade.

“So these are the reasons we brought it and not in order to extract a performance advantage out of the capability of burning more oil. If you ask the FIA you will be quite interested to see what the results are, and they are pretty much all the same.

“I don’t know where that rumor came, and it was nothing that was ever a problem or discussion among us.”

Marvin Musquin to miss entire 2020 Supercross season

Feld Entertainment Inc
Leave a comment

On Friday, Marvin Musquin announced on Instagram he will miss the entire 2020 Supercross season with a knee injury.

The injury was sustained earlier this week in a practice crash at the KTM test track when he overjumped an obstacle and landed hard.

It’s “not the kind of news I’m excited to share with you guys,” Musquin wrote. “I was really happy to be back on the bike riding after being injured at the end of the Motocross season and starting to train for Supercross. Unfortunately, I had an incident at the KTM test track and ultimately over-jumped a jump that had a very big impact on my legs when I landed, injuring my left knee.”

I had it evaluated by several doctors and it was determined that my knee required surgery. It’s devastating news to me as I was really looking forward to racing Supercross, but I will take the time needed to recover properly with my main focus being to return when I am strong enough to win races.”

Last year, Musquin sustained another knee injury in November that threatened his 2019 Supercross season. He was able to ride in the Anaheim 1 event and finished in the top 10. Musquin improved throughout the season, winning two races and finishing third in the points after making a determined charge.

Musquin missed the 2011 and 2014 Supercross seasons with ACL injuries.

View this post on Instagram

Not the kind of news I’m excited to share with you guys… I was really happy to be back on the bike riding after being injured at the end of the Motocross season and starting to train for Supercross. Unfortunately, I had an incident at the KTM test track and ultimately over-jumped a jump that had a very big impact on my legs when I landed, injuring my left knee. I had it evaluated by several doctors and it was determined that my knee required surgery. It’s devastating news to me as I was really looking forward to racing Supercross, but I will take the time needed to recover properly with my main focus being to return when I am strong enough to win races. A big thanks to my team @ktmusa for supporting me in this tough time. I feel terribly sorry for them and all my sponsors for not being able to represent them on the track for the 2020 AMA SX season. But we will be back 👊🏼

A post shared by #Marvin Musquin #25 (@marvinmusquin25) on