Formula E has revealed the track layout for its inaugural visit to Rome next spring, with the circuit set to be the second-longest in the all-electric series’ history.
Government officials in Rome approved plans to stage a Formula E race last April, with the event being given a slot for April 14 on the season four calendar.
At a launch event in Rome on Thursday, Lucas di Grassi, Sebastien Buemi, Nelson Piquet Jr. and home favorite Luca Filippi all took part in a show run incorporating many of the city’s main landmarks, as well as being received by city mayor Virginia Raggi.
The circuit in Rome will feature 21 corners and be 2.86km long, making it the second-longest in Formula E history, trailing only Marrakesh.
“I’m excited to be here today to present the first-ever ePrix in Rome – for a spectacular event that will engage and entertain the Roman citizens, as well as create a number of benefits for the city,” Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag said.
“Seeing and hearing the Formula E cars on the streets of a place like Rome, for me will be a truly unforgettable experience. The circuit looks long and challenging for the drivers.
“I’d thank everyone who made it happen, bringing Formula E to the Eternal City. This demonstrates the unity of intent to promote alternative and clean energy solutions, speeding-up the transition thanks to the developments and innovations that characterize our series.”
The new Formula E season gets underway on December 2 in Hong Kong.
Bob Fernley will bring his experience as former deputy team principal at Force India F1 to McLaren Racing’s IndyCar effort in 2019.
Fernley will report directly to McLaren Racing’s CEO Zak Brown.
“Heading back to the Brickyard will be a very special experience for me,” Fernley said at IndyCar.com. “I am proud to be leading this McLaren project and team. The 500 is a hell of a challenge and we have incredibly strong competitors to overcome if we’re to be successful. We will need to prepare well for the month of May and that work starts now.”
Fernley’s appointing come of the heels of last week’s announcement that McLaren will create a brand new team to compete in the 2019 Indy 500.
MORE: Fernando Alonso to return to Indy 500 in 2019
For now, Fernley’s responsibility is to create an entry that is capable of allowing two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso to win the Indy 500 in just his second start. But speculation has been widespread that the entry will be a jumping off point for a much broader involvement in IndyCar.
In 2017, Alonso qualified on the middle of row two (fifth), led 27 laps and succumbed to mechanical failure. His effort was impressive enough to be name Rookie of the Year for the Indy 500.
“Bob is a fantastic operator and someone I respect greatly,” Brown said. “His experience and leadership will be essential for us on this project. He is particularly talented at putting effective teams together and extracting maximum performance with finite resources. The Indy 500 is no easy race and Bob’s is a key role, so I’m delighted he’s on board.”