Edoardo Mortara has become the latest driver to confirm his entry to Formula E ahead of its fourth season, signing with Venturi alongside Mercedes DTM teammate Maro Engel.
Mortara has a strong pedigree in single-seaters, winning the Macau Formula 3 race in 2009 and 2010 before making the move into touring cars the following year.
Mortara finished second with Audi in the DTM last year before switching to Mercedes for 2017, and moves into Formula E ahead of the Silver Arrows’ own planned entry for season six, starting in 2019.
Venturi confirmed on Friday it had retained Engel for season four after a solid debut campaign, with Mortara taking the seat shared by Tom Dillmann and Stephane Sarrazin through season three.
Mortara is the fourth rookie driver to sign up for Formula E’s new season, following the lead of Andre Lotterer, Neel Jani and Luca Filippi.
The fourth Formula E season starts in Hong Kong on December 2.
IndyCar driver Conor Daly posted a poignant tribute to Chris Beaty, a former Indiana University football player and Indianapolis business owner who was killed Saturday amid protests and rioting in the city.
Daly said he got to know Beaty, who owned an event and marketing promotions company, five years ago when he was organizing Indianapolis 500 afterparties.
Daly annually had been involved in Beaty’s parties since then and said Beaty helped get him home earlier this year when Daly’s blood sugar crashed while at an event.
TAKING A STAND: Lewis Hamilton speaks out on racial strife
“The world lost a tremendous person. RIP Chris Beaty,” wrote Daly, who also tweeted “The violence has to stop.”
According to the Indianapolis Star, Beaty died after suffering multiple gunshot wounds during Saturday night’s unrest in downtown Indianapolis. It’s unclear if the shooting was tied to the protests.
Graham Rahal also posted about his interaction with Beaty.
Daly, Rahal and the rest of the IndyCar Series will return to action Saturday night at Texas Motor Speedway (8 p.m. ET, NBC).