Lando Norris PR

Lando Norris joins Carlin in Formula 2 for 2018 season

Leave a comment

McLaren youngster Lando Norris will move into Formula 2 for the 2018 season with Carlin, continuing his long-running partnership with the British team.

Norris, 18, won the FIA European Formula 3 title in 2017 as a rookie with Carlin in a competitive field, before signing off from the category with a podium finish in the Macau Grand Prix last weekend.

Norris was confirmed as McLaren’s official reserve and test driver in Formula 1 for 2018 earlier this month after an impressive test showing in July, and will balance these duties with a full-season F2 campaign.

Norris made his F2 debut in Abu Dhabi on Saturday with Campos in order to gain more experience in the series ahead of a full-time move for 2018, which was confirmed on Sunday.

“I’m going into 2018 unquestionably aiming to achieve more success by winning races. But 2018 will also be a big learning year,” Norris said.

“Getting experience of the increased power, enhanced aerodynamics, the [Pirelli] tires, the mandatory pit-stops and competing at new tracks like Bahrain, Baku and Sochi.

“It’s an educational year, I’ll be new to Formula 2 while Carlin is returning after a season out of the category. I’ll also be up against some very experienced F2 drivers. I’m hopeful it will work to our advantage that 2018 sees a newly designed [Dallara] car being raced for the first time since 2011.

“It’ll be my fourth year competing with Carlin. Trevor heads up a great operation at Carlin and I feel part of the ‘family’ there. It’s a friendly environment and one in which I feel very comfortable in.”

Norris will partner Sergio Sette Camara at Carlin next season, with the Brazilian also being confirmed by the team in Sunday’s announcement.

Carlin will return to F2 for 2018 after one season away, having last raced in the category when it was known as GP2 before being rebranded for this year.

Rinus VeeKay to drive for Ed Carpenter Racing in 2020

Doug Mathews/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Ed Carpenter Racing has signed 2019 Indy Lights runner-up Rinus VeeKay to drive the full 2020 NTT IndyCar Series season, the team announced Wednesday.

VeeKay will drive the No. 21 Chevrolet previously occupied by Spencer Pigot.

“I’m so happy!” the 19-year-old driver from the Netherlands said in a press release. “It’s a dream come true and something we have worked extremely hard for over the last couple of years. To step up from USF2000 to the NTT IndyCar Series in three years is really special.”

In his maiden Indy Lights season this year, VeeKay collected six race victories and seven pole potions. VeeKay previously won the 2018 Indy Pro 2000 championship, and finished second in the 2017 USF2000 standings.

VeeKay’s success in the ladder series caught the attention of Carpenter, who gave VeeKay the opportunity to first test for the team at Portland International Raceway in August.

“I have been following Rinus’s path through the Road to Indy, especially the past two years,” Carpenter said. “It was clear to me that he deserves to be in an Indy car. After his first day in a car at Portland this past season, that feeling became even more apparent. His pace, feedback and demeanor inside the car was very impressive for such a young driver.”

As a driver, Carpenter will be VeeKay’s teammate during the five oval races in 2020, once again returning to the team’s No. 20 entry. An announcement on which driver will pilot the No. 20 on the road and street circuits will be made at a later time.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter