Getty Images

Perez slams ‘useless’ penalty to Hulkenberg in Abu Dhabi

Leave a comment

Sergio Perez ended his 2017 Formula 1 season with another seventh place to bring his final season total up to 100 points, good for seventh place in the championship for Sahara Force India.

But ending seventh Sunday in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and behind Renault’s Nico Hulkenberg – who was penalized for passing Perez early in the race by going off track and gaining an advantage – left Perez bemused post-race.

Hulkenberg moved to the outside of Perez on the run off the second long straight going for seventh place, but was unable to complete the maneuver on the racing surface. The German promptly ran off course through the chicane, coming back on track ahead of Perez.

This netted Hulkenberg a five-second time penalty which he’d serve at his first pit stop, but even so Perez felt the penalty wasn’t severe enough for the infraction given Hulkenberg’s long-run pace in his Renault.

“It wasn’t the most exciting race for me, but I had a very busy first lap battling with Nico,” Perez told NBCSN post-race. “I think his penalty was very strange because I was ahead of him and he just cut the corner, gaining a big advantage and a position.

“He had more pace and in clean air he could just go and make up enough time to make the penalty useless.

“He should have just given up the position, as is required and as he did later in the race with Grosjean, and he would have had to overtake me on track.”

Hulkenberg, for his part, knew he had to push once past to ensure he’d built enough of a gap to overcome the ensuing penalty at the stop. The drama for him was extended when they had issues securing two tires on his car – but unlike teammate Carlos Sainz Jr., at least all four stayed on.

“Well I knew I had to have the five-second gap over Checo. When I started to realize the pit stop went long and trouble on rear left, then rear right, I started to sweat!” Hulkenberg told NBCSN.

“You push but there’s so little grip leaving pits. That was a little thriller! It was a very couple interesting laps to get past the Haas (Romain Grosjean), and I had Checo (Perez) waiting to take advantage. So it’s decent to end the season this way. It’s not amazing, but it’s good to have this in our pocket.”

Hulkenberg’s sixth place finish netted Renault sixth in the constructor’s championship while Perez and Esteban Ocon put Force India a clear best of the rest in fourth, for a second consecutive season.

Although Perez didn’t score a podium for the first time in four seasons with Force India (previously achieved them in 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix, 2015 Russian Grand Prix and 2016 Monaco and European Grands Prix), this marked his equal best championship finish of seventh and with only one point fewer scored this year than last, and Perez made an important point that that was with one fewer race.

“I am happy with the result today and it was important to finish this year strongly. It’s my first year at Force India without a podium, but I think we made a big step forward,” he said.

“I scored one point less than last year with just 20 races on the calendar instead of 21. The overall result is great: seventh in the drivers’ championship and fourth in the teams’ standings. I don’t think we could do anything better than that this year and I hope we can continue this way into 2018.”

Keating stripped of Le Mans GTE-Am win; No. 68 Ganassi entry also disqualified

IMSA
2 Comments

FIA stewards announced Monday that two Ford GT entries have been disqualified from this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, including the GTE-Am class-winning No. 85 entry from privateer Keating Motorsports.

Also DQ’d was the factory No. 68 Chip Ganassi Racing entry of Joey Hand, Dirk Mueller and Sebastien Bourdais, which initially finished fourth in the GTE-Pro class.

Both entries were found in violation of fuel capacity regulations, with the No. 85 entry also failing to meet the minimum refueling time during pit stops.

The refueling system on the No. 85 entry, driven by Ben Keating, Jeroen Bleekemolen and Felipe Fraga, measured a time of 44.4 seconds during a stop, just shy of the minimum required time of 45 seconds.

As a result, the team was initially issued a 55.2-second post-race penalty by officials, which elevated the No. 56 Team Project 1 Porsche 911 RSR of Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Lindsey, and Egidio Perfetti to the class win.

The time penalty was calculated by the difference in the refueling time (0.6 seconds) multiplied by the amount of pit stops made by the team (23), then multiplied by four.

The No. 85 entry was set to finish second in class, but then received an outright DQ after its fuel capacity was also revealed to be 0.1 liters above the maximum permitted capacity of 96 liters.

As for Ganassi’s No. 68 entry, it was found to have a fuel capacity of 97.83 liters, which is above the maximum allowed capacity of 97 liters for the GTE-Pro Fords.

The No. 67 Ford of Andy Priaulx, Harry Tincknell, and Jonathan Bomarito subsequently moves up to fourth, and the No. 69 Ford of Scott Dixon, Ryan Briscoe and Richard Westbrook moves up to fifth.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter