Getty Images

Sao Paulo Formula E race postponed until season five

Leave a comment

Formula E officials have confirmed the planned race in Sao Paulo on March 17 has been postponed until next season due to planning problems.

Sao Paulo was originally listed on Formula E’s season four calendar upon its first release in June, only for doubts about its running to arise in recent weeks.

As confirmed by a Formula E spokesperson on Thursday, the race has now been canceled due to ongoing privatization of property in the area, leading to local organizers requesting its postponement.

“The Sao Paulo city authorities have asked us to postpone the race to season five, due to an ongoing process of privatization of the Anhembi Park venue,” the spokesperson said.

“Racing in city centers always poses challenges and as this process is taking longer than expected, in agreement with the city of Sao Paulo, we’ve decided to place negotiations on standby until the privatization process is complete – with the city specifying their desire to be considered on the calendar for next year.

“In the meantime, we’ve prepared an alternative solution for this season that will be formally presented to the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris next week.”

With a replacement round set to be confirmed, the 2017/18 Formula E calendar will therefore remain at 14 rounds, starting with the double-header in Hong Kong this weekend.

Bob Fernley announced as president of McLaren IndyCar

Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bob Fernley will bring his experience as former deputy team principal at Force India F1 to McLaren Racing’s IndyCar effort in 2019.

Fernley will report directly to McLaren Racing’s CEO Zak Brown.

“Heading back to the Brickyard will be a very special experience for me,” Fernley said at IndyCar.com. “I am proud to be leading this McLaren project and team. The 500 is a hell of a challenge and we have incredibly strong competitors to overcome if we’re to be successful. We will need to prepare well for the month of May and that work starts now.”

Fernley’s appointing come of the heels of last week’s announcement that McLaren will create a brand new team to compete in the 2019 Indy 500.

MORE: Fernando Alonso to return to Indy 500 in 2019

For now, Fernley’s responsibility is to create an entry that is capable of allowing two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso to win the Indy 500 in just his second start. But speculation has been widespread that the entry will be a jumping off point for a much broader involvement in IndyCar.

In 2017, Alonso qualified on the middle of row two (fifth), led 27 laps and succumbed to mechanical failure. His effort was impressive enough to be name Rookie of the Year for the Indy 500.

“Bob is a fantastic operator and someone I respect greatly,” Brown said. “His experience and leadership will be essential for us on this project. He is particularly talented at putting effective teams together and extracting maximum performance with finite resources. The Indy 500 is no easy race and Bob’s is a key role, so I’m delighted he’s on board.”