Audi Sport

Abt disqualified after Hong Kong Formula E win, Rosenqvist takes victory

1 Comment

Daniel Abt’s joy after claiming his first Formula E victory in Hong Kong on Sunday was short-lived after the FIA stewards disqualified him in the hours following the race over a powertrain infringement.

Abt capitalized on a late error by Edoardo Mortara to snatch the lead of the race with three laps to go, holding on to seemingly secure his maiden win in the category on his 25th birthday.

The Audi team’s spirited celebrations were doused around three hours after the race finished when the FIA stewards confirmed Abt’s car had not complied with the technical regulations.

As per the FIA statement: “The FIA security stickers (barcodes) on the inverter and MGU units did not correspond with those declared on the Technical Passport provided by the competitor Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler for the event.”

As a result, Abt was disqualified, making pole-sitter Felix Rosenqvist the race winner for Mahindra.

Rosenqvist had taken his fourth Formula E pole position earlier in the day, but appeared to throw away his chance to win after spinning at Turn 1 when the race went green on Lap 2 following a safety car start.

Rosenqvist dropped to 11th, but was able to fight his way back up the order through the race, taking P2 late on following Mortara’s spin.

Mortara had himself taken the lead from Rosenqvist after the Swede’s Turn 1 error, and dominated proceedings throughout, running around three seconds clear of Abt heading into the closing stages.

A regen error caused Mortara to lock his rear brakes and spin his Venturi car at Turn 2 on Lap 43 of 45, spurning hopes of a maiden victory for the Monegasque team. His promotion to P2 after Abt’s disqualification does however mean he has matched its best-ever result in just two appearances.

Jaguar Racing was left to belatedly celebrate its maiden Formula E podium after Mitch Evans finished fourth on-track, rising to P3 in the final classification ahead of Jean-Eric Vergne and Sam Bird.

Oliver Turvey is now classified sixth for NIO, with Maro Engel and Nicolas Prost following in P8 and P9. Season two champion Sebastien Buemi also gets off the mark for the season with one point for P10.

Helio Castroneves ‘hustling’ for IndyCar, IMSA rides; talking with four to five teams

Helio Castroneves IMSA IndyCar
IMSA
Leave a comment

As his season gathers steam, Helio Castroneves said his prospects for finding new rides for 2021 in IMSA and IndyCar also are gaining momentum.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner said Monday he is optimistic about landing in either or perhaps a combination of both series when Team Penske and Acura end their DPi partnership after this season.

“A lot of people I spoke with, four to five teams, are interested,” Castroneves said. “Whether it’s doing Indy 500 only, whether it’s pushing to do full time or do the sports cars as well. It’s been a very nice conversation.

LOOKING AHEADTeam Penske drivers seeking new rides for 2021

“I have a lot of respect for all the teams that have been talking, and I feel the same feedback. We just have to wait for their (sponsor) connections, and I’m also looking for some connections on my side as well, so hopefully we’ll be able to put this together and get something very soon.”

Given two decades of success with Penske in IndyCar and IMSA, Castroneves’ resume hardly needs burnishing. But the Brazilian has combined with co-driver Ricky Taylor in the No. 7 Acura DPi to win the past two overall victories at Road America and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

But Castroneves, who doesn’t have a manager, said he has been working the phones hard rather than wait for the strong results to bring in the calls.

“At this point, I feel like I’m the one who needs to be talking to them because people need to know I want to continue racing and understand my desire,” Castroneves, 45, said. “There is opportunity, no question, in both (IndyCar and IMSA), which I’m really happy about it. However, because of the COVID-19, a lot of things sometimes have to be a little delayed. But I’m excited. Whatever the opportunity and whatever destiny guides me, whether IndyCar or sports cars, trust me I’ll be as happy as it could be and doing my 100 percent like I always did.

“It’s like politics, you need to be out there, good news or bad news. People have to make notice of your presence. I’m hustling. I want to continue to keep it going. Hopefully, we’ll have good news very soon.”

The news has been all good lately on track for Castroneves and Taylor, who hope to continue their run Sunday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The No. 6 duo has surged to sixth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship standings, 10 points out of the lead with four races remaining. After thinking there was “no hope” to be competitive after opening the season with three consecutive poor finishes, Taylor now sees an opportunity for a happy ending.

“With the program going away, Helio has won all the big races and given so much back to the team and left such a mark, he’s really part of Penske history,” Taylor said. “For me, it’s been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of it. I’d like to leave my little mark as well. Helio has won everything except for a championship.

“Obviously, we’ve won races already together, but we can win a championship now. I think if both of us can do that together and both win our first championship for ‘The Captain,’ that would be an absolute dream come true, and we can tie a bow on it and be happy.”